PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Default open with VLC - Default Movie Player is broken.

Doman
July 20th, 2009, 07:50 PM
As the title suggests, my "Movie Player" is broken. It glitches my screen like Wine when it starts and then continues to not perform well. If I could un/reinstall it, that'd be awesome. If not, how do I change my defaults all to VLC easily?

bramming
July 20th, 2009, 07:57 PM
To reinstall go to system => administration => synaptic package manager. search for "totem", right click and uninstall. press apply, and then install it again.

To change vlc to default: right click a sound file with the extension you want vlc to open (like an mp3 song) and press Properties => Open With and choose vlc.

btw i dont have any clue why it doesnt work for you. Im not too good with the technical stuff, but i hope im still able to help ;)

john183
July 20th, 2009, 08:27 PM
You shouldn't have to uninstall totem, follow the last poster's instructions about opening synaptic package manager and finding totem. When you click on the box to the left of the package name you should get the install/uninstall options and near the middle or bottom there should be a re-install option. just use that one. it will save you a few steps.

ajgreeny
July 20th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Just in case it's the configs of totem causing the problem, in synaptic do a "completely remove" and then either reinstall it or preferably, I think, choose totem-xine, which is a better version of totem, particularly for DVD playback.

ghostborg
July 20th, 2009, 08:50 PM
I vote for VLC 1.0

CatKiller
July 20th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Just in case it's the configs of totem causing the problem, in synaptic do a "completely remove"...

"Completely remove" doesn't touch a user's Home folder, which is where many per-user configuration settings are stored. Especially for the kinds of programs that users may be tempted to re-install to fix.