PDA

View Full Version : Are we ever going to see Firefox 3.5 in Synaptic for Intrepid?

bluelamp999
July 20th, 2009, 04:09 PM
I only ask because it's weeks now since the release of 3.5...

moster
July 20th, 2009, 04:16 PM
You have it. It came few days after mozilla gave it on their web page.

install it like this:

sudo apt-get install firefox-3.5

:)

(I guess you can click on it in synaptic but there are more stuff related so better is like this)

edit:
And it is called shiretoko and have blue icon. :)

Mr. Picklesworth
July 20th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Moster, he's asking if it will be in there for Intrepid :)
In that case, no, it will not be. The official repositories do not see major upgrades (or new releases) mid release except in special circumstances.

There is always this PPA: https://edge.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mozilla-security/+archive/ppa
There isn't a 3.5 build for Intrepid, but it's possible that the Jaunty one may cooperate.

aysiu
July 20th, 2009, 04:21 PM
No, it won't ever be released for Intrepid or Hardy.

You can add a PPA for it, but I think that's a little annoying, since it doesn't have the Firefox branding or user agent string, and then you also have to manually switch over your launchers or preferred applications to the non-branded Firefox.

It's probably best to use one of these two methods to just get the Mozilla-branded Firefox straight from Mozilla:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/firefox
http://ubuntuzilla.wiki.sourceforge.net/

MaxIBoy
July 20th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Most programs do not get updated after the release of the distro version, unless the update is a security update. And they'd rather go for a single patch to the old one, than an all-out conversion to the new one.

What version of the program each package will have, is set in stone just before the release candidate phase. (That is, Intrepid's version of Firefox was the most-recent as of a few weeks before Intrepid's release.)

Which is why I am always on the pre-alpha releases on my desktop (Debian is on my laptop,) and I wish Ubuntu would switch to a rolling release.

bluelamp999
July 20th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Hi moster,

Sorry if I'm being a bit dumb but will that install an entirely new instance of FF (alongside 3.0.11)?

Or will it upgrade my existing FF to 3.5, thus keeping extensions, passwords, history etc.?

Cheers

aysiu
July 20th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Hi moster,

Sorry if I'm being a bit dumb but will that install an entirely new instance of FF (alongside 3.0.11)?

Or will it upgrade my existing FF to 3.5, thus keeping extensions, passwords, history etc.?

Cheers
Both.

It will install the newer Firefox alongside the old one, but it will keep your extensions, history, passwords, etc.

In the cases of the two methods I recommended, the command firefox will launch Firefox 3.5.1, and the command firefox.ubuntu will launch the old 3.0.11.

If you use the PPA method, the command firefox will launch Firefox 3.0.11, and the command firefox-3.5 will launch Firefox 3.5.1, so you'll have to manually change your launcher and/or preferred application settings to get Firefox 3.5 to launch.

moster
July 20th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Haha, sorry :) I was thinking you are in Jaunty 9.4.

You can add repositories manualy like they said... that is best way for sure.

Or you can just try it by extracting archive and double clicking on "firefox" in that directory and "run".

Can I ask why you are not in jaunty? It is still free and hardware demands are same :)

bluelamp999
July 20th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Thank you very much Aysiu...

That's cleared it up for me, I'm off to try the psychocats method now...

bluelamp999
July 20th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Can I ask why you are not in jaunty? It is still free and hardware demands are same :)

My graphics card is an ATI Mobility X300.

ATI has dropped support for this card in their latest Catalyst driver which is the only driver supported by Xorg 1.6 which is the Xorg version installed with Jaunty.

If I want to keep decent 3D performance I feel I have to stick with Intrepid as AFAIK the open-source ATI drivers are not too hot with 3D.

moster
July 20th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Yes, pity. I was thinking you will say something like that. I too have similar situation. I would say even worse.

Not only I have ati x1250 but problematic sb600 chipset and broadcom wirelles card. I have problem with EVERYTHING. I am waiting carmic koala,

bluelamp999
July 20th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Hey Moster,

Intrepid has been rock-solid for me but I do like to keep up with the cutting edge and I must say the ATI issue bugs me.

But hey, maybe Karmic will solve both our problems!

Keep the faith...

oldsoundguy
July 20th, 2009, 10:13 PM
along this same line, any clue when it might finally show up at Unbuntuzilla? (since I run one box with 8.4 LTS for VIDEO reasons, that is the way I update both FF and TB.)

An85Zk9tc8rfjV8i
September 13th, 2009, 09:04 AM
http://www.latko.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/picture-1.png