PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] howto update linux kernel-packages with terminal without gui Update Manager?

user34532
July 20th, 2009, 12:13 PM
If sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade command is run, all packages should be updated.

But when gui Update Manager is launched, System > Administration > Update Manager,
it shows that there is more packages to be updated, Linux-headers, Linux-images-*, etc.

Those packages dont update just running sudo apt-get upgrade.

Howto update also those kernel packages using command line? I don't want to use gui to update my system.

/usr/sbin
July 20th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Open terminal and type the following commands:
$ sudo apt-get update

Now search kernel version:
$ apt-cache search kernel-image

Now install kernel by explicitly specifying version number:
$ sudo apt-get install linux-image-2.6.xx-yy-generic

Replace xx.yy with kernel version number. Reboot the system.

Thats how I did it. Hope it helps.

snek
July 20th, 2009, 01:04 PM
First of all, why use apt-get?
My kernels always update automatically but I am using aptitude instead.

sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude safe-upgrade
sudo aptitude full-upgrade

Should do the trick usually..

Mornedhel
July 20th, 2009, 01:27 PM
If sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade command is run, all packages should be updated.

No, all packages that can be updated without installing or removing other packages will be updated. The rest will be held back. To install those, you can use aptitude as another poster suggested, or run sudo apt-get dist-upgrade instead of sudo apt-get upgrade.

abalo13
April 14th, 2013, 05:14 AM
I just installed ubuntu server, how can I install the latest version of the linux kernel? I dont have a GUI, how can I even download it if i dont have browser, my pc is full connected to the internet, I just have the x windows to use commands. please help. I want the the version 3.8.7
thanks everyone for your help.

sandyd
April 14th, 2013, 05:30 AM
Necromancing - Thread closed
Please do not post in threads more than one year old as many things change between Ubuntu releases and the solutions provided in the thread may not be pertinent to your installation.

Thanks!