PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No upgrade option

lesmorton
July 20th, 2009, 11:23 AM
I am running Ubuntu 8.04 on my Toshiba NB100, I would like to upgrade to 9.04 and understand that I need to upgrade to 8.10 first. I would like to upgrade online using the Update Manager but I don't get offered an upgrade to 8.10. I have launched Software Sources but only have three tabs - Updates, Third Party Software and Authentication. No Upgrade tab.

I have searched the forums and Googled my problem but can't seem to find a solution - can anyone out there assist please?:confused:

Many thanks.

kostkon
July 20th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Check this (http://www.ubuntugeek.com/upgrade-ubuntu-804-hardy-heron-to-ubuntu-810-intrepid-ibix.html).

wojox
July 20th, 2009, 11:37 AM
When your in software sources look under automatic updates and Release upgrade show Normal Releases then close.

Hit Alt+F2 for run application and enter:

update-manager -c -d

Click Run

Click the Check update button to check for new updates you should see something letting you know there is a new distribution release.

lesmorton
July 20th, 2009, 11:44 AM
The tutorial shows an Upgrade tab in Software Sources - that's what I don't get on my system.

lesmorton
July 20th, 2009, 11:48 AM
When your in software sources look under automatic updates and Release upgrade show Normal Releases then close.

Hit Alt+F2 for run application and enter:

update-manager -c -d

Click Run

Click the Check update button to check for new updates you should see something letting you know there is a new distribution release.

In Software Sources, under Automatic updates I don't get a Release upgrade option. Al I have is Check for updates (with a drop down showing daily, Every two days, etc.), a radio button next to Download all updates in the background, and a radio button (which is highlighted) next to Only notify about available updates.

I've run the Update Manager is suggested above, but again nothing about Ugrade or new distribution release.

My 8.04 system is bang up to date with all updates done.

wojox
July 20th, 2009, 12:00 PM
In Software Sources, under Automatic updates I don't get a Release upgrade option. Al I have is Check for updates (with a drop down showing daily, Every two days, etc.), a radio button next to Download all updates in the background, and a radio button (which is highlighted) next to Only notify about available updates.

Under that you don't have a

Release upgrade

Show new distribution releases

That weird maybe its because your using an LTS.

lesmorton
July 20th, 2009, 12:09 PM
I'm using the Ubuntu that was pre-installed on the netbook when I bought it.

wojox
July 20th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Here's the link I found:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/IntrepidUpgrades

lesmorton
July 20th, 2009, 12:36 PM
In step 2 (Software Sources) it's the Updates tab that's different. I only have Check for updates (with a drop down showing daily, Every two days, etc.), a radio button next to Download all updates in the background, and a radio button (which is highlighted) next to Only notify about available updates. I don't have all the other options which relate to security updates and release upgrades.

lesmorton
July 20th, 2009, 01:23 PM
If I download and install 9.04 Netbook Remix using a Flash drive I assume it will overwrite 8.04? If I backup my home directory first can I assume I can reload it from a back copy on another flash drive to bring back all my previous settings into 9.04?