PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu on tv

balloooza
July 20th, 2009, 08:02 AM
I am ABSOLUTLY SURE that this will be moved to reoccuring discussions, but one thing I get jow out of is seeing linux being used on the screen of a tv, and it is distinct, you know it, because 1) windows/mac use the same graphical toolkits, there are not many *real* themes (?yes for mac there is graphite, and for xp/vista there are a few colors) but the look is constant, this is the reason I could detect one today. 2) the computer that is running linux is used by somone that has a technical position in the show, so this is hard to find somtimes

Two of my favorites
1: imagin this, blu-ray behind the scenes of iorn man (c) what app was running other than blender (this apparently was used to animate all the awsome suit changes (where the suit wraps around, and all the geeky overengineered locking effects take place, plus all the inside the "visor" animation takes place. DONE WITH LINUX, that is it, if you could see my face when I had the picture paused on that 1080p screen looking at a cluttered gnome desktop (with the creepy eyes that stare at you, all the scattered launchers "a messy panel") and that mysterious blender logo, and that wonderfull interface (yes it is known to give people night mares, but it is functional once you get past the learning curve, or more like a learning cliff, and you are at the bottom)

2: mostly because I just saw this tonight, and mabey others did too, on a show called ice road truckers, the alaskan metoraligist was using a software (called http://www.weather-display.com/index.php on furter investigation, I remember it from an ubuntu thread) running in, none other than, gnome (a version from before I knew about gnome, complete with Not the gtk seuff, no, the weather person loaded those hideous x things, with that grey backround, and 3D effects (a shadow is what I am talking about, that is the 3D of the time of those widgits)

but it is cool to see that the work of linux has 1 made some of the coolest animations, 2) saved a weather man some money.

just wondering if anyone else has had any glimpses of the small 3% market share of linux (that is not accualy the true number, but it is my honest guess, that is for annother reoccuring discussion)