PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] USB installation x86 on a x64 odd dilemma

fatcat87
July 20th, 2009, 05:14 AM
New to the forums and I tried searching for my issue but was unsuccessful. I just ordered myself a new toy, a MSI wind u100 which to the best of my knowledge is a 32bit system. I wanted to get a USB drive ready with ubuntu so when it gets here i can install via usb stick (no optical drive). On the pc Im currently using is a 64-bit machine. I have been reading on how to make the usb stick bootable and i am unsure if i should download ubuntu x86 or ubuntu x64 iso

I plan to install Ubuntu 8.04.3 Hardy Heron but im open to ideas as far as which disto to go with

Thanks

Nburnes
July 20th, 2009, 05:17 AM
Why don't you use the Ubuntu Netbook Remix?

Made to run better on Netbooks.

fatcat87
July 20th, 2009, 05:28 AM
I will look into that distro but my real problem is whether or not to download a 32 bit or a 64bit cd to prepare a usb stick now. I could wait and do it all on the laptop just a little anxious

sendblink23
July 20th, 2009, 05:43 AM
If the MSI were 64bits.. then go for 64 bits.... in which MSI is not.

But here is the difference... 64bit OS is more for Users who have more than 4gb of RAM.. that is the use of 64bits, processing allot of big file size stuff.. *Video Editing/Sound Editing/Graphic Design*

so the MSI is a Netbook ... definitely 32bit is the choice. You would not be doing Hardcore processing stuff in it.

So if you know the system is 32bits.. well that is the obvious install to the USB 32bit Ubuntu.

kerry_s
July 20th, 2009, 05:47 AM
use unetbootin to make the usb.
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

i have a foxconn r10-24: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856119012

i just put a hd & ram, so i install the os using a usb flash drive.

da, i thought you was talking about the nettop, anyways the install is still the same with netbooks.

fatcat87
July 20th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Going to try unetbootin once this iso finishes downloading. seems to be the best solution. I thought i was going to have to burn a copy of ubuntu and make the bootable usb drive from there. thats why i was concerned about. whether or not a x86 distro would boot on my machine.

Thanks for the promptly help