PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrading ubuntu version - why bother?

simonjester
July 20th, 2009, 03:45 AM
I am running version 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon. I am very happy with it. But support stopped in April. I've been wondering if I should upgrade to 8.04 LTS or blow it off. Any recommendation?

eldragon
July 20th, 2009, 03:47 AM
because support stops, aka, no more security updates...

not upgrading might be the dumbest idea. it would not be so dumb if the computer would stay unconnected

raymondh
July 20th, 2009, 03:51 AM
I am running version 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon. I am very happy with it. But support stopped in April. I've been wondering if I should upgrade to 8.04 LTS or blow it off. Any recommendation?

Try the liveCD of Hardy. If it goes well with your system hardware and specs' ... consider the upgrade (at least for the security updates). That or you'll just have to keep on patching your Gutsy.

dlmarti
July 20th, 2009, 04:42 AM

tbh, if your happy I wouldn't worry too much.
Too many people chase the dragon, if you don't have a reason to upgrade (like your running a vulnerable machine), I wouldn't.

for example, if your talking about a desktop, where you have a single port opened (SSH for example). I doubt you have a reasonable reason to upgrade.

aysiu
July 20th, 2009, 04:56 AM
I would upgrade, because with an unsupported version of Ubuntu, you will no longer receive security updates.

If you want to use 8.04, it'll receive updates until April 2011, so you'll be good for another two years.