PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to install a tarball driver

cooper77z
July 20th, 2009, 02:30 AM
I did a search on "how to install a tarball" but I got nothing. Can somebody please teach me how to install a tarball driver?

Partyboi2
July 20th, 2009, 04:44 AM
Hi, a tarball is a a tar archive and needs to be extracted. You can either do this by right clicking on the tar and choosing to extract or you can extract them using the terminal.
Normally the tarball's end with 2 types of file extensions, either the .tar.gz or tar.bz2 so if you have a filename.tar.gz, you would use this command in the terminal

tar xvzf filename.tar.gz
if you had a filename.tar.bz2, you would use

tar xvjf filename.tar.bz2 Once you have extracted it you can follow this (http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/softinstall.html) though if it has a configure file, it does not not have a configure file in the source directory have a look for a INSTALL file as this nornally tells you how you can install it.
Any problems let us know what the name of the software you are trying to install and where you are getting stuck.

cooper77z
July 20th, 2009, 07:35 AM
I am pretty sure the drivers for easycap are installed but I think the devrec install failed. Cinelerra knows the easycap hardware exists but it trys to capture the video in component format, which the format is composite.