PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about UbuntuForums using vBulletin?

keiichidono
July 20th, 2009, 01:59 AM
The other threads about it are years old, I want to know what everyone's new perspective on this is. The admins chose vBulletin because it was the best choice at the time, now I think we should re-consider and think about if it's enough for 2009. I think that if vBulletin needs a replacement then SMF could take it's place as phpBB is too spaghetti coded and other alternative just don't cut it. This might end up in reccuring discussions but as least I tried right? :)

frup
July 20th, 2009, 02:04 AM
It's not going to stop me using UF, even if it was GPL2, they would not have to necessarily release the source (that's what the AGPL is for no?)

I would prefer to know I am using something FLOSS. If FLOSS isn't good enough, the best way to get it better is to use it and make it improve. I'm sure many members of the community would make it improve where needed. PHP is about the only language I seem to be able to get my head around except for JavaScript. But I'm a terrible programmer.

At the end of the day it is the admins choice. From a non-programming user perspective, there really isn't much difference.

AllRadioisDead
July 20th, 2009, 02:10 AM
I think we should switch to phpbb! It's a lot cleaner and visually appealling, I'm sure some designers can get together to reskin it into something great. Phpbb is a bit weak when it comes to javascript, but our community could come together to overcome that. It will benefit not only us, but phpbb as well which is another great open source project!

philcamlin
July 20th, 2009, 02:10 AM
I think we should switch to phpbb! It's a lot cleaner and visually appealling, I'm sure some designers can get together to reskin it into something great. Phpbb is a bit weak when it comes to javascript, but our community could come together to overcome that. It will benefit not only us, but phpbb as well which is another great open source project!

so true

it doesnt matter who rants about it its who makes it if hes happy so be it :)

Sand & Mercury
July 20th, 2009, 02:11 AM
I don't see anything wrong with Vbulletin.

OutOfReach
July 20th, 2009, 02:15 AM
I don't mind, infact I don't notice.

Grant A.
The other threads about it are years old, I want to know what everyone's new perspective on this is. The admins chose vBulletin because it was the best choice at the time, now I think we should re-consider and think about if it's enough for 2009. I think that if vBulletin needs a replacement then SMF could take it's place as phpBB is too spaghetti coded and other alternative just don't cut it. This might end up in reccuring discussions but as least I tried right? :)

Um, phpBB3 is greatly coded. PhpBB2 is the badly coded one. phpBB3 has even gone through several external security audits, and has come out very clean. The phpBB team also patches vulnerabilities within a few days of them being reported. Try getting that kind of response from IP.Board or vBulletin.

Personally, I think that IP.Board or phpBB3 would be the best choice. A ton of the workers at vBulletin quit, so the next release might not be very good.

Eviltechie
When you need something, you get the best you can. If that means vBuilitin, phpBB, python, or C# you take it.

AllRadioisDead
July 20th, 2009, 02:17 AM
Um, phpBB3 is greatly coded. PhpBB2 is the badly coded one. phpBB3 has even gone through several external security audits, and has come out very clean. The phpBB team also patches vulnerabilities within a few days of them being reported. Try getting that kind of response from IP.Board or vBulletin.

Personally, I think that IP.Board or phpBB3 would be the best choice. A ton of the workers at vBulletin quit, so the next release might not be very good.
I second that! IPB would be a great second choice.
Personally, I hate the way SMF was coded but that's just me since I'm used to phpbb.
Vbulletin's bloated and going downhill, I'm not sure who's following vbulletin 4 but I'm not liking what I'm seeing.

keiichidono
July 20th, 2009, 02:18 AM
I don't see anything wrong with Vbulletin.

The reason we no longer have thanks and solved is because vbulletin was going through some strain because of those features.

Grant A.
July 20th, 2009, 02:24 AM
The reason we no longer have thanks and solved is because vbulletin was going through some strain because of those features.

No, the problem is with the MySQL database, not vB.

bodhi.zazen
July 20th, 2009, 02:27 AM
FYI this is a recurring issue and has been discussed many, many times before. Alternates to VB have been tried but can not handle the needs of these forums.

With that I am going to close this thread. If you wish to discuss various alternates please feel free to start a new thread and leave these forums out of the conversation.

Thank you.