PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unbuntu keeps freezing on install. Please Help!

renomason
July 19th, 2009, 09:38 PM
I've tried different discs, different burners, and slower and slower speeds
I downloaded 9.04 using a torrent and that pass the checksum

I boot from disc, get to the splash screen, and can select any option without a problem

If i go to a live boot it goes for a few minutes then locks up
Same problem with check disk, and install

Right now I have the ISO on a DVD-R and i burned that at 4x speed

If anyone can help me out that would rule, I want to get rid of windows so badly

ajgreeny
July 19th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Have you also checked that the CD/DVD is OK, which you can do from the boot menu of the CD itself? If it is OK try booting the CD in low graphic mode, or some such description; I can't remember what it's called, but you'll find it somewhere in the F# keys at the first boot screen of the CD.

philcamlin
July 19th, 2009, 10:20 PM
is it a good cd / try with another cd

is your cd drive on the fritz

md5 is good?

renomason
July 20th, 2009, 01:29 AM
is it a good cd / try with another cd

is your cd drive on the fritz

md5 is good?

I tried with multiple CDs, different types of CDs and now DVD-Rs

My CD drive is solid....

and yes md5 is good....like i said i torrented and checksumed

Have you also checked that the CD/DVD is OK, which you can do from the boot menu of the CD itself? If it is OK try booting the CD in low graphic mode, or some such description; I can't remember what it's called, but you'll find it somewhere in the F# keys at the first boot screen of the CD.

It always locks up as I said even when I "check the CD".... maybe 75-80% of the way through everytime

I tried booting in with every different option

pastalavista
July 20th, 2009, 01:33 AM
I'm guessing you may not have enough ram.. how much do you have? If it is less than 394 megs, you might need to use an "alternate" install CD instead of a "live" CD installer.

renomason
July 20th, 2009, 01:38 AM
I'm guessing you may not have enough ram.. how much do you have? If it is less than 394 megs, you might need to use an "alternate" install CD instead of a "live" CD installer.

2gbs and i passed memcheck :|

pastalavista
July 20th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Are you trying to dual boot? Is another OS (Windows?) installed on the disk now? Can you run Ubuntu from the live CD?

stlsaint
July 20th, 2009, 03:32 AM
just for testing have you tried installing from wubi??

wabbalee
July 20th, 2009, 03:44 AM
the only thing I can think of that may cause a problem, as it did for me, was the fact that it burned a multi session disc. my experience is that such discs do not always perform well in every situation. try burning it again on a CD and be sure to check that it burns it as 'no multisession' or 'not appendable' or 'close disc' or something similar.

renomason
July 20th, 2009, 08:58 AM
just for testing have you tried installing from wubi??

i actually installed ubuntu from inside windows doing this, and i can log into my ubuntu but it locks up after a few minutes of usage..... :|