PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] can't install windows at all

jedikgh
July 19th, 2009, 07:03 PM
ok so i have ubuntu 9.04 on my one HDD, and i want to install windows xp on a diferrent HDD. i put in the winxp cd and restart the pc. i change the settings in BIOS so to start from cd and the result is to boot ubuntu again and again. i can't boot from the cd both from the BIOS and the boot device menu(F8 ).

anyone know something about that?

merlinus
July 19th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Perhaps you xp disk is corrupted. Does it work on a different computer? If so, then check your cd drive, e.g. cables and other connectors.

jedikgh
July 19th, 2009, 07:46 PM
the disk is recognized in ubuntu and in BIOS. the cd drive works perfect.and i tried it on both cd drives. but even if the disk is corrupted that shouldn't explain why i cant boot at all from the cd. tha is the first time i come across this problem.

ddrichardson
July 19th, 2009, 07:50 PM
I've seen a few BIOSs recently that have an option that says something along the lines of "Boot from external media", without it enabled the boot order is ignored. Messed around with a Sony Vaio with that for hours yesterday until I noticed it.

jedikgh
July 19th, 2009, 07:53 PM
no...nothing like that in my BIOS

ddrichardson
July 19th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Is it a full install disk and not an upgrade (which isn't bootable)?

jedikgh
July 19th, 2009, 08:08 PM
it is an empty disk that i want to install win xp. i also tried to remove the linux disk and stay only with the empty one but still i couldn't boot from the cd.

ddrichardson
July 19th, 2009, 08:19 PM
I meant the Windows disc - is it an upgrade or install?

jedikgh
July 19th, 2009, 08:24 PM
install i downloaded it and burn it today

ddrichardson
July 19th, 2009, 08:30 PM
I didn't know you could download from MS. Is the image definately bootable?

jedikgh
July 19th, 2009, 08:38 PM
im gonna check on that again and give an answer tomorrow. thanx for the replies.

sendblink23
July 19th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Honestly..your Download XP = Pirated

is probably bladly burned or corrupted (none bootable)

If your burning an ISO image... always remember to BURN in the lowest speed, that how it certifies the image got burned correctly to a disc.

so you downloaded that xp.... so Illegal & against the forum
get your self an actual XP CD not a pirated version (no where in the world is that you can download a legal XP cd, unless you are an ms developer)

Only Beta versions... such as right now Windos 7 RC is available publicly.. *LEGAL* to download