PDA

View Full Version : Linux Distro: Pardus

PartisanEntity
July 19th, 2009, 06:54 PM
MTE has a brief but interesting article on Pardus, a Linux Distro maintained by the Scientific & Technological Research Council of Turkey.

It seems rather nice from a usability stand point, I haven't tried it yet.

Anyone have any experience with it?

http://maketecheasier.com/getting-started-with-pardus-linux/2009/07/19

SuperSonic4
July 19th, 2009, 06:59 PM
I'm interesting in this distro too but my bandwidth is poor at the moment - I think sky are being mean because I'm on Linux

praveesh
July 20th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Yes. I have used it. The one I tried was a kde4.1 live cd. It was not possible to install from that. The surprise is that, it included a lot of softwares including firefox and gimp in a single cd. Since the live cd didn't include any administrative tools, I couldn't try it's package manager. Any how, the initial impression was good

chucky chuckaluck
July 20th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Yes. I have used it. The one I tried was a kde4.1 live cd. It was not possible to install from that. The surprise is that, it included a lot of softwares including firefox and gimp in a single cd. Since the live cd didn't include any administrative tools, I couldn't try it's package manager. Any how, the initial impression was good

where would a package manager install a new package if you were using a livecd?

bodhi.zazen
July 20th, 2009, 06:02 PM
I tried it and although it has had some good reviews was not happy with it.

Hardware detection was the proverbial Achilles heel (I had trouble with 2 laptops and 3 desktops).

That was almost 2 years ago , so I presume they have improved. If hardware detection has improved it would be a nice distro.

bodhi.zazen
July 20th, 2009, 06:03 PM

Into RAM. Do this all the time with recovery CD (install a little tool here and there).

ramnarayan
July 20th, 2009, 06:14 PM
I tried PARDUS too, very recently, wanted as my 3rd Linux OS, to try.

However at the very end of the installation, it gave up and refused to install

however the install process itself was enjoyable and it is probably the only Linux that gives an option to rename a partition

eg:
/dev/sda6 92M 45M 42M 52% /boot
/dev/sda7 43G 36G 5.1G 88% /home
/dev/sda9 3.5G 2.9G 486M 86% /media/PARDUS_ROOT

unfortunately it stopped just when it should have said ok all well go ahead and use . So am hoping to get a better install disk and try.

ghindo
July 20th, 2009, 07:32 PM
I recently saw a post about Pardus on Planet KDE that made it sound very interesting. It's the only distro I know of that makes such extensive use of Python. It seems like the English translations were sometimes a bit odd, verbose, or off entirely, but I'd still like to give it a try sometime.

cb951303
July 20th, 2009, 07:38 PM
there is also a review of the final 2009 version here: http://www.itlure.com/2009/07/distro-hoppin-pardus-linux-2009.html

EDIT: BTW Pardus had a contribution repo with lot of extra software for 2008 and 2007
http://en.pardus-wiki.org/Contrib_repository
I don't know if they have one yet for 2009 though.

HappyFeet
July 20th, 2009, 08:00 PM

If you have enough memory, you can "install" any application in a live cd session. I do it all the time. I once had my main hard drive die, and before the new one arrived, I used an ubuntu live cd for 3 days (did not turn off the computer) and had all my main apps installed as if it was a regular install.

mhurst102282
July 20th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I have tried the liveCD last year and I thought it was very good, but I never did do an install.