PDA

View Full Version : How many razor bladed does a person need?

stuart.reinke
July 19th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Here are some silly questions.

How many blades does your razor have?

Is it enough/too many?

Is there really a point in having more than one or do you think it's a marketing gimmick to get you to buy over-priced blades and shavers.

Personally I can't really tell the difference from a single blade Bic and a 3 bladed Gillette.

DownTown22
July 19th, 2009, 06:11 PM
I like my 4 blade razor (Gillette...or maybe it's Schick). I find it gives a closer, smoother shave with less irritation.

MikeTheC
July 19th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Two-bladed Shick Slim Twin with aloe strip.

Nothing else works as well for me. In fact, even though I keep trying from time to time, there are no electric razors which work for me at all. It takes forever for them to cut the hair, and then invariably I wind up with several in-grown hairs.

stuart.reinke
July 19th, 2009, 06:13 PM
By the way: Sorry for the type-o in the title.

/usr/sbin
July 19th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Surely its easier to go electric??

HappyFeet
July 19th, 2009, 06:23 PM
My Fusion has 5 blades. Best I ever used.

koleoptero
July 19th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Mine has 5 and an extra one on the back for the details (eg right below the nose :P)

Whiffle
July 19th, 2009, 06:57 PM
I just douse my face in Everclear and take a match to it. Clean shave every time.

Or, I just use my Mach3, because the blades are relatively cheap (compared to the fusion), and it gets the job done.

SuperSonic4
July 19th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Three usually which reminds me, I need a shave

mr.propre
July 19th, 2009, 07:14 PM
I've got 4 from Gillette. But I'm thinking of going good old school style.

http://www.painlessfrugality.com/2009/07/shave-like-your-grandpa-did/

jomiolto
July 19th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Doesn't really matter to me, since my beard grows so quickly I'll have visible stubble by evening, no matter how closely I shave in the morning. That's why I don't usually shave -- I just trim my beard when it gets uncomfortably long :P

ajcham
July 19th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Razors I've used in recent years:

Wilkinson Sword Quattro (4 blades): Just awful in my experience. I've had more comfortable shaves with single-bladed Bic disposables (10 for £1!).

Gillette Mach3 (3 Blades): Very comfortable, but with a relatively high cost of replacing blades.

Gillette Fusion (5+1 blades): When shaving the face, not a major improvement over the Mach3, and the extra edging blade doesn't seem to add much. However, this is a much better razor for shaving the head (although, I do this rarely, and usually resort to electric clippers - besides, very few people here will be interested in shaving their head!).

I just use my Mach3, because the blades are relatively cheap (compared to the fusion)
Although Fusion blades have the highest per-unit cost, they last a long time and are probably the best value overall, IMO.

stuart.reinke
July 19th, 2009, 08:03 PM

I didn't know you could get stuff to shave with the old safety razors. I might give it a try also.

get much older school than that any you would be using a sharp rock :lolflag:

Tipped OuT
July 19th, 2009, 08:12 PM
I use two. It gets the job done, and that's all that matters.

For those who are wondering, "A 15 year old shaves!?", I use it to trim up my hair line, and other personal hygiene needs.

Pinoy915
July 19th, 2009, 08:19 PM

That is how I shave. I have tried all but the real old school with the single blade that you have to sharpen with the leather belt. The double edge safety razor gives me the best shave. It is something that you will have to learn to use at first though as it is not the same as just using modern shavers. (Well, you can try but probably get cuts.) The blades are real cheap to replace too.

Old_Grey_Wolf
July 19th, 2009, 08:22 PM
I have had a beard since I was 17 years old. Never shaved since then. Um, I am 60+ years old now. I trim my beard with scissors and use hair clippers to trim the edges. Image of a hair clipper similar to what I use is attached.

My wife has never seen me without a beard.

I know it is time to trim my beard when I put a pen or pencil into my shirt pocket and it pulls my beard because the pen or pencil has clipped my beard to my shirt pocket.

:lolflag:

I had to use scissors to cut some hairs on my chin when I was 11 years old. By the time I was 16, I had to shave twice a day. I just got tired of it, and grew a beard. :)

Maybe I need to change my name to Old_Gray_Werewolf.

hehe

ratcheer
July 19th, 2009, 09:27 PM
I am a dedicated safety razor user. This means a "double edge" blade, but the two edges are on opposite sides of the razor head, i.e., you shave with a single edge at a time. I gave up multi-blade cartridge razors in late 2006 and I have no intent of ever going back.

Tim

nmaster
July 19th, 2009, 09:32 PM
I find that its the brand that matters a little more. A gillette with 2 blades is still better than my schick with 4. schick however, is much cheaper. i don't think i've ever actually paid for one. i either get them through free promos or with a rebate. gillette fusion is awesome tho. comfort of 5 blades with the precision of one. its awesome.

swoll1980
July 19th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Mach 3. Less blades are not as smooth. More blades just cost more money, but I can't tell a difference. Single blade tears my face to shreds.

The Real Dave
July 19th, 2009, 11:14 PM
I have a 4 blade, though often use 2bladed Bics =] That said, am only 16, and don't need to shave that often :P

spoons
July 19th, 2009, 11:18 PM
I use an electric razor (the one with 3 spinning things that's rechargable)

Works well enough.

lisati
July 19th, 2009, 11:20 PM
I normally manage with only one, and don't think I've ever used more than two.

(rushes off with pangs of a guilty conscience: Mrs Lisati was complaining earlier)

cb951303
July 19th, 2009, 11:20 PM
1 is enough.

http://www.luxury-razors.co.uk/wp-content/merkur-futur-chrome-300x300.jpg

PurposeOfReason
July 19th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Depends on the occasion. For daily use I just bust out the two bladed pack of 20 from target. If I have a date, am going to a nice place, getting dressed up etc. I get the mach 5 thing-a-ma-jig for just before the date. Shave twice, once with the grain and once against using various strokes. Honestly, babies aren't that clean shaven. ;)

nmaster
July 19th, 2009, 11:42 PM
I use two. It gets the job done, and that's all that matters.

For those who are wondering, "A 15 year old shaves!?", I use it to trim up my hair line, and other personal hygiene needs.

why wouldn't a 15 year old need to shave? i grew my first beard when i was 15. different people mature differently. inbd.

The Real Dave
July 19th, 2009, 11:48 PM
why wouldn't a 15 year old need to shave? i grew my first beard when i was 15. different people mature differently. inbd.

different people mature differently

Damn true, im 16, and only need to shave every 2days, however, a friend of mine has been shaving since he was 13 :P

frup
July 20th, 2009, 12:21 AM
I used to use a Gillette mach3 from the age of 15... had a real bad problem with shaving rash on my neck.

By 17 I was sick of shaving because of the constant rash and began shaving probably every 2 weeks.

I got an electric shaver when I was 18 and never had a problem since.

For what it's worth I have a set of disposable 2 blade razors which are far better than the mach3. They're cheaper and give me less rash. I only use them when I need the closest shave.

I'm 23 now and still get away with shaving only every 2 days, but that's because my hair is light.

Chilli Bob
July 20th, 2009, 12:25 AM
I love the 2 blade Schick with the aloe strip. They give a great shave, are relatively cheap, and I get a couple of weeks out of each one.

More blades don't seem to make a difference, but are harder to use. Those single blade Bics feel like they are ripping the hairs out of my face, and are only good for one shave.

Electric razors won't cut my stubble, they leave me with a 2-day growth.

EDIT: I didn't vote as no option was appropriate.

Sand & Mercury
July 20th, 2009, 12:49 AM
More than one blade makes it much easier for me. I have a Fusion. The big winner for me is the idea that I just don't have to change the blades so often.

BTW, I bloody hate shaving. I already have a goatee that is getting a little unruly (I shave everything else, bar having some sideburns) and sometimes I wonder if it'd be better to just toss my razor in the bin and get a full-on RWS beard going.

JDShu
July 20th, 2009, 12:54 AM
1 blade cuts my face way too easily. 3 is the easiest and any more is just not worth the money. My genetics mean I only have to shave every couple of days :D

Mike'sHardLinux
July 20th, 2009, 12:54 AM
I use the Gillette Fusion these days. I've always had trouble in the neck area with all shavers, electric, 1 blade, 64 blades, etc..... I find that if I don't shave for a day or two, I can get a cleaner shave than when I shave every day. God I hate shaving......

init1
July 20th, 2009, 01:01 AM
My Fusion has 5 blades. Best I ever used.
Yeah, those 5 blade razors are really good. I usually just use a cheap 2 blade though.

benj1
July 20th, 2009, 01:21 AM
i use a mach 3, electric shavers don't work i just get shaving rash and a few bald clumps, and cheapy razors always seem to get clogged up, i don't intend to go any higher in the blade count though, im sure they would just increase the blade count again, i think theyre trying to introduce moores law to razor blades.

forrestcupp
July 20th, 2009, 01:41 AM
How long will it be before they have razors with 10 blades?

The problem I had with razors with multiple blades is that the blades got clogged up with hairs. Because of that, they became useless way before the blades went dull.

I use an electric shaver. I used to have a problem getting a close shave and getting shaver rash until I learned the right way to use them.

You would think that you need to bear down to get a closer shave, but the opposite is the truth. If you barely touch your skin, it has an easier time cutting the hairs because you're not pressing them down. Then after you get all of the hairs shaved that way, you can quickly go over your face bearing down a little more to get a closer shave. Also, regularly using aloe gel after the shave helps a lot.

Tipped OuT
July 20th, 2009, 01:44 AM
How long will it be before they have razors with 10 blades?

The problem I had with razors with multiple blades is that the blades got clogged up with hairs. Because of that, they became useless way before the blades went dull.

I use an electric shaver. I used to have a problem getting a close shave and getting shaver rash until I learned the right way to use them.

You would think that you need to bear down to get a closer shave, but the opposite is the truth. If you barely touch your skin, it has an easier time cutting the hairs because you're not pressing them down. Then after you get all of the hairs shaved that way, you can quickly go over your face bearing down a little more to get a closer shave. Also, regularly using aloe gel after the shave helps a lot.

Do you really have to use those shaving gels? Because I never used them before. Also, do you really have to use it for an electric shaver too?

Bölvağur
July 20th, 2009, 02:26 AM
I dont shave, I only trim so my beard always looks about a week old.

dragos240
July 20th, 2009, 03:27 AM
How many? Just ask rms. He'll tell you none.

forrestcupp
July 20th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Do you really have to use those shaving gels? Because I never used them before. Also, do you really have to use it for an electric shaver too?

No, I don't use any shaving gel or shaving cream. Actually for an electric shaver, it's best to have your face as dry and non-oily as possible.

I'm talking about using aloe gel after I shave. I probably went almost 20 years without using anything. Even when I used to use razors, I only wet my face with water.

But I recently found out that using aloe gel afterward prevents razor/shaver burn and it makes my face a lot smoother. My wife encourages it. Aloe gel isn't scented, and it has healing and soothing properties.

Grenage
July 20th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Dovo Straight Razor (cut throat) here, about the only other thing I'd use is a Double Edged razor. Definitely not those tri/quad blade pieces of crap. Not only are they a dire shave, they cost a fortune.

HavocXphere
July 20th, 2009, 03:39 PM

If I find a cut throat blade them I'm trying that. Always wanted to.

Grenage
July 20th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Taking care of them is a learning curve; but once you've got it down you'll never go back.

JillSwift
July 20th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Blades? Bah. Sugar (http://www.care2.com/greenliving/ancient-egyptian-body-sugaring.html)!

benj1
July 20th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Blades? Bah. Sugar (http://www.care2.com/greenliving/ancient-egyptian-body-sugaring.html)!

some how i don't think i'll be doing that to my face.

how about this (http://www.metacafe.com/watch/2160712/smokingmonkeyvideos_extreme_shaving/) tho

p0cky84
July 20th, 2009, 04:48 PM
I have no idea what I should answer here... I use a electrical shaving machine o_O
You didn't think of guys like me when you posted this DID YOU?! ;_;

ajcham
July 20th, 2009, 05:04 PM
I use a electrical shaving machine

Interesting that you chose those words, rather than 'electric razor'. They conjured up an image in my head of some super-cool android barber.

Now I want one!:D

JillSwift
July 20th, 2009, 05:07 PM
some how i don't think i'll be doing that to my face.Ok, I'll admit that on most men's faces sugaring would produce less fine, soft skin and a lot more bleeding and screaming. :eek:

how about this (http://www.metacafe.com/watch/2160712/smokingmonkeyvideos_extreme_shaving/) thoI... I feel a bit frightened. :shock:

Firestem4
July 20th, 2009, 05:12 PM
I actually don't use a razor. I use an electric trimmer..(not even close to the closet shave but its quick and no mess with shave lotion/etc.)

gletob
July 20th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Me lovey lovey my Phillips Norelco long time.

stuart.reinke
July 20th, 2009, 09:07 PM
I have no idea what I should answer here... I use a electrical shaving machine o_O You didn't think of guys like me when you posted this DID YOU?! ;_; No I didn't. My appoligies. I hate my electric face mower.

heroidi
July 20th, 2009, 10:19 PM
I'm 15 and I need to get shaved once, I shaved 3 months ago but my beard grew again need to shave again... i'll maybe use a 4 bladed one.

tjwoosta
July 20th, 2009, 10:34 PM
I use an electric razor, if I use a blade it irritates my skin.

Blacklightbulb
July 20th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Does anyone here use a straight edge blade. I use one. Only disadvantage is "steeper painful learning curve".
But hey when I have some ladies over they are always impressed;).

Grenage
July 21st, 2009, 08:22 AM
Does anyone here use a straight edge blade. I use one. Only disadvantage is "steeper painful learning curve".
But hey when I have some ladies over they are always impressed

Yup, they give the best shave.

starcannon
July 21st, 2009, 11:10 AM
Electric Razor... I shave, I need more than one blade during the life of the razor, but I don't need an infinite supply. Suppose I could take an average and come up with something; but I'll just say, "as many as it takes".

drumsticks
July 21st, 2009, 12:58 PM
But hey when I have some ladies over they are always impressed;).

I initially thought the thread was about straight razors, which I was going to answer two, so that each has 48 hours for the fins to realign before the next shave. Then I read 6 pages before anyone else even uses a straight razor. Ah well...

EDIT:*Oops. I*missed Grenage's on page 4 :)

Grenage
July 21st, 2009, 01:01 PM
Classic blade-rester, are you?

I'd kill for a decent 5, 6 or 7-day set, but they cost a fortune. Not that I believe resting makes any difference, it would just be more convenient to hone several blades once every couple of years than one every 6 months.

drumsticks
July 21st, 2009, 01:12 PM
Yeah, even sharpen my own with a fine waterstone every few months. Hours of fun! (Seriously!) There's something therapeutic about slapping a blade to a stone over and over and over and over and over...

mhurst102282
July 21st, 2009, 01:32 PM
Mine has three which I think is a good amount. SIngle blades are like having with sandpaper it is painful and is just a waste of time.

Grenage
July 21st, 2009, 01:51 PM
Single blades always give a better shave; it's just technique and preparation.

iponeverything
July 21st, 2009, 02:09 PM
Single blades always give a better shave; it's just technique and preparation.

Same with me. Anything more than the basic single blade bic disposable gets caught and "bites" -- I always have to let the shaving cream soak in for about about 5 minutes to soften up the hair.

Something I saw somewhere:

an electric shaver snaps the hairs off (so you use an alcohol based preparation to remove water and make the hair brittle)

blade shaver cuts the hair (so you use something that allows the hair to soak up water to soften it up)

Grenage
July 21st, 2009, 02:14 PM
Same with me. Anything more than the basic single blade bic disposable gets caught and "bites"

Aye, I never have any luck with disposables and cans of 'goo'. After suffering years of razor burn and bumps I eventually switched to a DE, then to a straight.

If you have a hot shower before, or leave the shaving cream to soak in for a few minutes, you get a much better shave. Getting a brush and a pot of shaving soap also helped me. Bottom line is that whatever kind of razor you use, decent preparation makes the world of difference.

mhurst102282
July 21st, 2009, 02:16 PM
Cans of goo work perfect for me :)

tjwoosta
July 22nd, 2009, 12:16 AM
Same with me. Anything more than the basic single blade bic disposable gets caught and "bites" -- I always have to let the shaving cream soak in for about about 5 minutes to soften up the hair.

Something I saw somewhere:

an electric shaver snaps the hairs off (so you use an alcohol based preparation to remove water and make the hair brittle)

blade shaver cuts the hair (so you use something that allows the hair to soak up water to soften it up)

I dont use any alcohol based preperation, I use a the powder kind. I dont know if it cuts or snaps the hair but I do know it works great and it leaves my face feeling nice and soft.

sergio_101
July 27th, 2009, 07:19 AM

that's my blog.. err.. i wrote that article! thanks for the plug!

let me know if you need any help rounding that stuff up!