PDA

View Full Version : Which Quicken substitute is best in Linux?

JEBB
July 19th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Add/Remove lists a number of programs that appear to claim to be substitutes for Quicken. I use Quicken only for check and credit card data and for the reports it generates for doing my taxes.

Which one do you find to be the best Ubuntu replacement for Quicken?

Thanks.

JEBB
September 9th, 2009, 01:59 PM
I've installed KMyMoney and GNUCash. So far GnuCash is best. Anyone else have an opinion?

marchwarden
September 9th, 2009, 03:55 PM
I've installed KMyMoney and GNUCash. So far GnuCash is best. Anyone else have an opinion?

GNUCash is probably the best I have come across.

BlueVark
September 9th, 2009, 05:50 PM
GNUcash

Firestem4
September 9th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I like Skrooge a lot. They just released a new version which completely overhauled it. I haven't used it too much though I have been meaning to work with it some more.

Plus the name really tickled me =P

JohnFH
September 9th, 2009, 06:57 PM
I read that differently! I thought it was "What Chicken substitute is best in Linux?" Linux for Vegetarians?

lindsay7
September 9th, 2009, 08:33 PM
The closest one that I have found and lise is Moneydance. You do have to pay for it but you can copy over your quicken files and and is is compatible with Linux and windows so you can go back and forth if you need to. It is very similar to quicken and is also has a free trial you can play with.

rivenathos
September 9th, 2009, 08:37 PM
You may also wish to consider Home Bank. It is in the Ubuntu repositories.

GMU_DodgyHodgy
September 9th, 2009, 08:45 PM
I have used all the one's mentioned. Jgnash is the best. The best user interface, it can run as a server application as well and support multiple users - is true double entry accounting and is compact. it is written in Java and runs on all OSes.

Gnucash is decent - but UI stinks and it is a hob gob of code.

I am a CPA and have found this to be the closest replacement for Money/Quicken.

marchwarden
September 9th, 2009, 09:52 PM
I have used all the one's mentioned. Jgnash is the best. The best user interface, it can run as a server application as well and support multiple users - is true double entry accounting and is compact. it is written in Java and runs on all OSes.

Gnucash is decent - but UI stinks and it is a hob gob of code.

I am a CPA and have found this to be the closest replacement for Money/Quicken.

I haven't come across jGnash before, will have to give it a try.

Good to see I'm not the only bean counter around here :)

ulfj
September 9th, 2009, 10:05 PM
I use Gnucash,I'm no accountant so the double accounting thing throws me a bit or it could be my ADD,Quickbooks was better for me (invoicing and such).

Plumtreed
September 10th, 2009, 12:15 AM
I use this Homebank, primarily because it is in the repos, and I didn't have to download and setup other bits and pieces. Jgnash looks and 'sounds' good but involves doing things that are too geeky for me. I'm not an accountant either so I prefer the easy road financially.

Homebank does the basic job and, also tracks as a cash book, a small business. It is fast, clean, familiar Ubuntu looks and does the job.

I probably should use just a pencil and a notebook! That might be even faster.:confused:

thisllub
September 10th, 2009, 12:42 AM
I would widen the search and look at packages like openErp, Xinco and similar packages if you are running a business.
They take a bit of fiddling to get right but I think they offer a bit more.

GMU_DodgyHodgy
September 10th, 2009, 02:38 PM
I haven't come across jGnash before, will have to give it a try.

Good to see I'm not the only bean counter around here :)

Yap - Bean Counter and IT guy (need to finish 20 more hours of CPE before year end).

I have contacted the lead developer for Jgnash - David cavanugh - really nice guy and knows how to put this together. He has a decent team of developers. Download the latest version 2.3.0. An update will be out in about another 6 weeks - usually has upgrade every 8-10 weeks. I have looked over the accounting engine to Jgnash and it is very well put together from a coding perspective and in terms of supporting double entry accounting.

The user interface is the one closest to Money and Quicken. In addition, it can import quicken file formats and .csv files.

ssam
September 10th, 2009, 03:06 PM
recent review of KMyMoney by LWN
http://lwn.net/Articles/347546/

marchwarden
September 10th, 2009, 03:54 PM
I would widen the search and look at packages like openErp, Xinco and similar packages if you are running a business.
They take a bit of fiddling to get right but I think they offer a bit more.

Personally, I would advise against using an ERP for a small business, it's overkill for most.

Plumtreed
September 11th, 2009, 01:15 PM
I had a look at JGnash and it has to be run at the command line in Java. For an accounting package that is like a step back a decade or two. It is probably OK in Windows but what a 'palaver' in linux for just a personal accounting package. Not worth the effort with so many others around.

It looks good once you get it going but one would expect it to fire up in a more user friendly way. :(

GMU_DodgyHodgy
September 11th, 2009, 01:33 PM
I had a look at JGnash and it has to be run at the command line in Java. For an accounting package that is like a step back a decade or two. It is probably OK in Windows but what a 'palaver' in linux for just a personal accounting package. Not worth the effort with so many others around.

It looks good once you get it going but one would expect it to fire up in a more user friendly way. :(

Actually - Jgnash fires up from an icon like all other applications. If you have Sun Java6 installed on your desktop - just put a link to the jgnash.jar file. Right click on the icon and select Sun Java 6 to start the app. Easy-Squeeze.

If I had to start it from the command line - I wouldn't have used it.

Plumtreed
September 12th, 2009, 12:24 AM
Thank you for setting me straight, Dodgey. I am sorry that I sounded rather critical of your suggestion. What I saw of JGnash looked excellent, but, for me, I want a very simple, easy to install, record-keeping program.

I had used MYOB, in Australia, but got caught up in version and equipment changes that kinda annoyed me. I held onto my old, paid-for, version of MYOB and an old Win98 computer to make it run. Then the linked printer broke and I couldn't get a printer that would work with Win98.

A friend, also my accountant, suggested that I spend the money and get a new MYOB set-up. 'It's tax deductible' he said. So I set that up yesterday.

thisllub
September 12th, 2009, 05:30 AM
Personally, I would advise against using an ERP for a small business, it's overkill for most.

If you need debtors and creditors ledgers you need something that can cope.
Most commercial software is a recurring investment of more than $1000 a year. In most small to medium businesses it is the primary reason for owning a computer.

The accounts modules in some of these packages are comparable with commercial packages.

They have charts of accounts and taxation localised for the country of use and provide comprehensive taxation, P&L and balance sheet reporting, debtors and creditors ledgers and export facilities to send to your accountant.

I have been working with accounting software for nearly 20 years and I would love to been able to use some of these packages as a starting point in some businesses I have worked with.

I wouldn't even go near MYOB without a basic understanding of double entry accounting.

cookiecruncher
September 12th, 2009, 08:31 AM
I REALLY wish they would release Quicken as free or open source. I have used it for years and its a pain when reinstalling.

marchwarden
September 12th, 2009, 06:27 PM
If you need debtors and creditors ledgers you need something that can cope.

So are you saying that an ERP is the answer, all of that software just to track payables and receivables? In my experience most small businesses, should they need to, can quite capably, and more comfortably, do the same thing with a pen and paper. They can spend less time getting to grips with complicated software and concentrate on what brings the money in.

majorxx
October 1st, 2009, 03:42 AM
I use Quicken to download and update accounts for our IRAs at mutual funds, banks and brokers. What is available for Ubuntu that will do this jfor me?

GoodPanos
October 6th, 2009, 04:39 AM
Any more suggestions? Looking for something like Quickbooks. I have used GNU Cash for over a year now and I'm getting tired of it. I need something a bit more friendlier.

pookiebear
October 6th, 2009, 04:48 AM
quicken online is free.
mint.com is free too.

quicken is trying to buy mint too. not all the bells and whistles but no price and not OS dependent.

Hei Ku
October 10th, 2009, 03:38 AM
I use Quicken to download and update accounts for our IRAs at mutual funds, banks and brokers. What is available for Ubuntu that will do this jfor me?

You can use GnuCash, KMyMoney or Skrooge for that.