PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I trusted automatic updates now my desktop is broken

davemays
July 19th, 2009, 02:49 PM
So after a few years, of installing the updates when requested, I grew a trust of the Ubuntu powers that be and about a month ago, just told it to install whatever it needed. Well now I am jacked up.

I am Jaunty 9.04, Nivdia card. Working perfect yesterday, This morning the X screen pauses then whatever I click on the screen seems to queue, then 5-6 seconds later it does everything, then pauses and the loop repeats. When in text mode (ctrl-alt-f1) there is no pauses, and top shows no load. Back to X and is freezes then runs then freezes. I uninstalled compiz, and stopped desktop effects as long ago had an issue with that, no avail.

No errors in debug, dmesg, syslog, or messages.

Any idea? is there a way to roll back updates? or find the ones that might have goofed it?

Please help.

Thanks
Dave

davemays
July 19th, 2009, 02:57 PM
So it seems that it updated all the pulseaudio garbage yesterday. Is it possible to go to an older version from the command line?

Whiffle
July 19th, 2009, 03:02 PM
You can look through

/var/log/apt/term.log

and it should tell you what was done. As far as I know, the apt system has no automatic rollback functionality (yet).

davemays
July 20th, 2009, 03:39 PM
So I renamed /usr/bin/pulseaudio to /usr/bin/pulsecrap, and now it is working, but I have no sound. I try to downgrade via Synaptic the previous version, and it tells me I am holding on to broken packages and wont let me do it. Anyone know how to force it to downgrade?

iponeverything
July 20th, 2009, 03:45 PM
You can install the previous version by going to:

/var/cache/apt/archives/

the Previous version will be in there.

To do the downgrade:

dpkg -i <package name>

Also a better way of seeing what was upgraded and when would be to look in:

/root/.synaptic/log

davemays
July 20th, 2009, 03:49 PM
okay, fixed it. Got the files to downgrade, then locked the version. Now to open a bug report with the pulseaudio folks....