PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Wouldn't a "Copy que" for external disks be a good thing?

Ashrael
July 19th, 2009, 02:33 PM
First: I have been a computer user since 1978 and am using ubuntu since May 2005: and lovin'it, mostly...
But, when I decide to copy lots of data from several disks to my ext.hd, it takes ages to get the copy done. I do not know if there is a remedy or even what I am about to suggest, but if there is: tell me please.... The problems is that it spreads the bandwidth of the USB/FW over many copy commands. The total copy speed of, say 10 copies is about 20% lower than for one copy at a time.
Now wouldn't it be a good thing to have a que (like a print-que)for those kinds of disks, so that it will copy 10 things consecutively with no overhead?

Any remarks, tips, etc. welcome :D

Ashrael

Ashrael
July 23rd, 2009, 12:01 PM
ANYONE? ANYTHING?

TIA!
(still eating :popcorn: )

Ashrael
September 15th, 2009, 06:45 PM
repeat!

aaargh! no-one has any remarks/ideas/tips/etc?

Ashrael
January 11th, 2010, 03:23 PM
no-one has anything to say about this?

strange....

megamania
January 11th, 2010, 03:28 PM
I would use a simple script with various consecutive "rsync" commands.

This way, you would have only one copy command taking place at a time.

ansjov
February 18th, 2013, 08:43 PM
3 years later: try krusader.

sudo apt-get install krusader

it's copy queue by the way.

vanadium
February 18th, 2013, 10:42 PM
It is a bug in nautilus that apparently is difficult to solve:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/306630

aarons6
February 19th, 2013, 12:27 AM
as a long time linux user i wouldnt really drag and drop a bunch of files to copy from one drive to another anyway..

a few files its ok.. but many files id make a script or just use rsync if i was gonna do a whole drive..

varunendra
February 19th, 2013, 12:54 AM
3 years later: try krusader.

Please don't bump threads that are more than 1 year old and haven't seen any activity in that period.

Read the Forum Code of Conduct (http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php?page=policy) get familiar with posting guidelines and good practices.

If the topic still seems relevant, feel free to continue it in a new thread instead.

Thank You.

Oh.. and welcome to the forums! :)