PDA

View Full Version : What language(s) are you fluent in?

The Toxic Mite
July 19th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Hey guys!

Yet another poll from me, The Toxic Mite!

This time, it's about what language(s) you are fluent in. (NOT PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES!!i!)

For example, I am very fluent in German. What languages are YOU fluent in?

I would love to hear from you :D

reyfer
July 19th, 2009, 01:01 PM
My native language is Spanish, and I'm fluent in English, Italian, and Brazilian Portuguese......and learning Japanese at the moment :)

koleoptero
July 19th, 2009, 01:01 PM
You should edit the first post to include a line:

THIS IS NOT ABOUT PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES.

although I doubt they won't be mentioned. :P

I voted Greek and Other for English :P

Jimleko211
July 19th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I'm fluent in English, and I'm learning Latin.

Delever
July 19th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Kind of weird pool for me...

dragos240
July 19th, 2009, 01:47 PM
I'm fluent in english.

HavocXphere
July 19th, 2009, 01:56 PM
German, Afrikaans and of course English.

Was forced to do 2 years of French in school. Miserable experience. I'd probably go with something like Japanese/Chinese if I had to learn another.

The Real Dave
July 19th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Hey guys!

This time, it's about what language(s) you are fluent in. (NOT PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES!!i!)

Fluent in English, almost fluent in Irish, and have passable German =] Transition Year in school didn't help my language skills much though :lolflag:

itreius
July 19th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Fluent in Croatian (standard language + a regional dialect), English and German.

I understand a fair bit of written Russian and Dutch (I'll be studying the latter from this fall onwards).

jsmidt
July 19th, 2009, 02:22 PM
English

Sponzenbroekske
July 19th, 2009, 02:25 PM
English in the choices would be great!
And Dutch (or Flemish if you like :p)

eragon100
July 19th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Dutch because I am from the Netherlands, and English. And I just started learning Japanese yesterday (the book teaches speaking/listening as well as reading/writing in Japanese) :)
I don't seem to be the only one around here who wants to learn Japanese :lolflag: Are you guys anime/manga fans, like me? :D

Nevon
July 19th, 2009, 04:08 PM
English and Swedish.

epicoder
July 19th, 2009, 05:20 PM
English plus a couple words in German.

MikeTheC
July 19th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Hey guys!

You forgot to include English in your poll, therefore I was unable to participate.

ramnarayan
July 19th, 2009, 06:24 PM
There is no place to specify ;-)

and how come you gave up on english ??

ok my languages are
tamil, hindi, english

koleoptero
July 19th, 2009, 06:27 PM
People he probably didn't include english because we're in an english speaking forum, so we're all fluent :P

The Toxic Mite
July 19th, 2009, 06:28 PM
People he probably didn't include english because we're in an english speaking forum, so we're all fluent :P

That's the reason why I didn't include it :P

eragon100
July 19th, 2009, 06:39 PM
That's the reason why I didn't include it :P

You do need be fluent English user to create message?

ramnarayan
July 19th, 2009, 06:42 PM
अरे यार समझ गया

;-)

ramnarayan
July 19th, 2009, 06:45 PM
अरे यार समझ गया

;-)

In case you folks are wondering what it means (also incase its not allowed under forum rules and iget biffed or something)

It means "ok friend i understood it :-) "

Jesus_Valdez
July 19th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Español and well, no fluent but i can make my way into the English world, at least that's what I like to think.

I would love to speak some mexican native languages like aztec or "mayan" but, I guess I'll keep myself mainstream.

gjoellee
July 19th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Norwegian and English. I can also fully understand Swedish and Danish :D

meeples
July 19th, 2009, 07:47 PM
fluent in english,

apparently i could speak dutch to my dutch cousins when i was very young but i dont remember haha

days_of_ruin
July 19th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Javascript and Klingon. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_and_Nerdy

bobbob1016
July 19th, 2009, 07:54 PM
English. My Spanish is good enough. I can understand and be understood, and talk around words I don't know (describe the word using other words). I was in Ecuador my senior year of HS, we went to the Galapagos, we bought some stuff at a street market thing in Quito and we were leaving to go on the boat the next day. We couldn't take the stuff with us, but we'd be back the next week, and the translator wasn't there. I said "Compramos regalos en la tienda (I said the actual name of the place, but not sure what it is now), pero no podemos traerlos en el bote." (We buy gifts in the store, but we can't take them with us in/on the boat.) when I realized it was Spanish I slowly finished with "Podemos ponerlos aqui, vamos a ser aqui en una semana, y podemos traerlos a nos casas?" (Can we put them here, we will be here in a week and we can take them to our houses?) Not perfect but it was understood fine.

I can also understand 60% or so of written Italian and those Portugese guys in Family Guy without the subtitles, and I understood the Portugese Hoshi in Star Trek Enterprise was saying in Portugese.

Edit:
I forgot

I do vector calculus just for fun...

Javascript and Klingon. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_and_Nerdy

Marlonsm
July 19th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Portuguese (as I'm from Brazil) and English. I also know some Spanish, as it's very similar to Portuguese, but I woudn't say I'm fluent.

sisco311
July 19th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Hungarian (my mother tongue) and Romanian.

i'm not.

You do need be fluent English user to create message?

:)

SuperSonic4
July 19th, 2009, 09:03 PM
English but then I am ein Engländer

I'm not bad in German, mainly because I read the German version of Deutsche Welle occasionally

heroidi
July 19th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Albanian: Primary Language
English: Secondary
German: 3rd Party :P

anaconda
July 19th, 2009, 10:33 PM
other, other and other

And I also know a litlle german and french.

Not a coplete list. Even english is missing from the list...

lisati
July 19th, 2009, 10:36 PM
My main language is English. I also have a few words and phrases in French, Dutch, German, Maori, and Samoan (but not enough to have a decent conversation in any of them). Did Latin at school, but can't really remember anything useful.

MikeTheC
July 20th, 2009, 05:31 AM
What irks me is that the Bachelor's Degree I'm going after requires (as do all 4 year degrees) two years of a foreign language. It's not like I'm going to move or work overseas, so what's the point? That's class time and money I'd rather put towards something useful.

Jesus_Valdez
July 20th, 2009, 05:52 AM
Learn something new is never a waste of time.

Besides, languages are the door to other cultures and differents point of views, because, you may not know this, but there's a world outside.

Kingsley
July 20th, 2009, 06:00 AM
I understood practically all of the German in Brüno. Does that count for something? :lolflag:

lisati
July 20th, 2009, 06:00 AM
What irks me is that the Bachelor's Degree I'm going after requires (as do all 4 year degrees) two years of a foreign language. It's not like I'm going to move or work overseas, so what's the point? That's class time and money I'd rather put towards something useful.

When I was trying to study for a B Tech many years ago (failed miserably, more interested in partying than studying) I was irked by having to do chemistry and economics. It didn't seem to make much sense at the time. With hindsight, however, I can see that some of the ideas might have had some use, if not directly, then by the particular approaches they use to solve problems.

For me, learning another language makes better sense. Many of the people I know have English as a second language, and, guess what! several of them use computers! Knowing at least a little of their language has its place.

Grant A.
July 20th, 2009, 06:29 AM
No puedo hablar Español con fluidez, porque mi vocabulario no es grande. :(

Mi idioma nativo es Inglés, y mi idioma secundo es Español.

lisati
July 20th, 2009, 06:31 AM
No puedo hablar Español con fluidez, porque mi vocabulario no es grande. :(

Mi idioma nativo es Inglés, y mi idioma secundo es Español.

Mine vocab is even less, but I still got it!

Grant A.
July 20th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Mine vocab is even less, but I still got it!

Are you sure you don't speak German? :P

JohnnySage50307
July 20th, 2009, 06:38 AM
English is my native language, however I studied Latin while I was in high school. After graduating, I've decided to attempt to translate the Vulgate Bible (the Latin Bible--compiled and translated by St.Jerome and was the first time all the major books of the bible were bound into a single volume). Oddly, Greek and Hebrew both have words with meanings and concepts that Latin cannot directly translate into, so St.Jerome littered the entire text with footnotes, all written in Greek; 90% of them say things like, "I couldn't find a word that translates from <Greek/Hebrew word>, so I used <Latin word> instead." By reading his footnotes, I can read Greek fairly well, but I can't speak it.

lisati
July 20th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Are you sure you don't speak German? :P

Ooops, good call, my bad, possibly from two thoughts colliding ("mine is less" and "my vocab is smaller")

I don't speak German, but have Dutch ancestry, that's another possible source of the slip-up.

Eisenwinter
July 20th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Hebrew and English.

Used to be fluent in Finnish also, but lost it a bit due to never speaking it anymore.

ukripper
July 20th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Fluent in English, Punjabi, Hindi. Conversational German

I understand and can read sanskrit scripts but can't converse with anyone in this ancient language.

Sublime Porte
July 20th, 2009, 12:42 PM
I'm 'fluent' in Arabic. Meaning I can enter shops, purchase stuff, hold basic conversations with people, express my needs to others, and even give basic directions to others who appear more lost than me :P

I really hate to use the word fluent though, as it indicates to me someone who speaks like a native, which of course I do not.

mousestalker
July 20th, 2009, 02:39 PM
English, French, Welsh and Irish. I'm mostly fluent in Medieval (church) Latin as well as classical Latin.

oh, and I ain't got a gat, but I've got a soldering gun...

kk0sse54
July 20th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Swedish, English, and French

chriskin
July 20th, 2009, 03:46 PM
shouldn't english be a different category and not included in other? we are not all from the us or uk

i voted for Greek (obviously), French and Other (meaning English)

i know how to communicate in basic terms in one or two other languages , but its far from fluently

chriskin
July 20th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Dutch because I am from the Netherlands, and English. And I just started learning Japanese yesterday (the book teaches speaking/listening as well as reading/writing in Japanese) :)
I don't seem to be the only one around here who wants to learn Japanese :lolflag: Are you guys anime/manga fans, like me? :D

is learning by listening to anime count as learning Japanese? then i'm "learning" japanese as well :)

iaskedalice09
July 20th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I speak English as my mother tongue and American Sign Language as my second language. I can read and write Hebrew a little, but I'm more skilled in the siddur (Biblical Hebrew). I am working on Modern Hebrew!

And yes, I am fluent in ASL - I go to a deaf school, and I must use it to communicate 24/7.

On my list is obviously Modern Hebrew and Israeli Sign Language. Modern Hebrew is pretty similar to ASL so it makes it a bit easier, aside from that it's spoken. I can speak English, but my spoken Hebrew is atrocious. So I write.

Eisenhower, where are you in Israel? I have a couple friends from Netanya, and my sister-in-law (a yerida) is from Tzfat. Most picked up some Arabic in school or from interacting with the Arabs, but the only Israeli I know that's fluent in both Hebrew *and* Arabic *and* English is my sister-in-law. Are Arabic language studies common there? I plan to go to the Pardes Institute in Jerusalem after I get my B.A., and I expect to use more Hebrew than Arabic in Israel. Is that true?

sharathpaps
July 20th, 2009, 04:04 PM
1.Malayalam - Native Language

2.Tamil

3.Hindi

4.English

I can speak the above fluently.

5.Marathi - I know enough to sustain a conversation. That's all...

p0cky84
July 20th, 2009, 04:34 PM
I slept through lotsa German classes during high-school, speak fluently Norwegian (can make myself understood in Swedish and Danish), English (naturally), currently learning Dutch, and I'm going to take either Russian or Japanese at the university soon.

ultimatebuster
July 20th, 2009, 04:40 PM
I'm fluent in English and Chinese.

kickwin
July 20th, 2009, 05:09 PM
English and my mother-tongue Tamil (more than 2k years old)

virusiidx
July 21st, 2009, 05:35 AM
English is my main language. But I'm also learning Japanese. My girlfriend is Japanese and we plan to move to Tokyo in a few years.

Grant A.
July 21st, 2009, 06:47 AM
English and my mother-tongue Tamil (more than 2k years old)

Don't cut English short! English has a very long history, as well. Old English (The oldest variant of English) started being spoken in the 5th century. That's 1,600 years ago! :KS

If you want an old language, try to beat Greek or Hebrew. :popcorn:

Clorow
July 21st, 2009, 06:54 AM
English, and fluency is in progress with German.

comandrei
July 21st, 2009, 06:55 AM
Romanian (mother tongue)

JDShu
July 21st, 2009, 08:23 AM
I'm fluent in English and Chinese.

Mandarin?

Fluent in Cantonese. Can speak Mandarin and Japanese poorly.