PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Installation Problem

samuel.stidham314
July 19th, 2009, 02:58 AM
Okay,

I recently installed the newest edition of Xubuntu and I'm having a problem with getting the installation to work. For some reason, the boot sector hasn't been properly set up on my hard drive.

Before I installed Xubuntu, I ran a boot and nuke program to completely clear the hard drive. A couple of days ago I was having a hard time getting the operating system to even install on my hard drive. Now, that's not the case .... the boot sector isn't working for some purpose.

I'm attempting to run the operating system on an old hp pavillion 304w, which has the following Hardware specifications: (I'm not good with hardware specifications, so I'm only mentioning the few I know)

512 MB DDRAM (I'm not sure what type)
1.8/2.0 (not sure) GHZ AMD Processor
On board sound, video, lan

and the hard drive is a

20 GB Seagate HD -> ST320014A

Could someone help me figure out how to get this boot sector to be recognized. I have run seagates tool and have determined that my HD is a good HD.

Thanks

Sef
July 19th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Instead of installing or running the Live CD, go down to 'Check Disk for Errors' or something similar to make sure the live cd is good.

sarfarazkazi
July 19th, 2009, 10:37 AM
What error message are you getting? At what exactly are you stuck?

samuel.stidham314
July 20th, 2009, 01:26 AM
I fixed the problem. I scanned the hard drive again with seagates scanning disk utility and it fixed the problem with the computer not finding the boot sector. Now Xubuntu is working great.

What do you guys suggest I do to start learning how to learn linux? What things do I need to know? etc.