PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] During Installation help?

ArkangelD
July 18th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Greetings

During installation from the CD. On step 4 (Prepare Partitions), I really don't know what is required from me to do. Other than that if I run it from the CD it run fine with no problem. Wish I think this OS is awesome. Thanks

cariboo
July 18th, 2009, 09:15 PM
During the partitioning phase, you have three choices. Automatic, where the partitioner uses the whole hard drive, Guided, where you tell the partitioner how much of your current partition to use for Ubuntu, and Manual, where you set up the partitions manually. If you know nothing about partitioning, have a look at this Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_partitioning) page.

running_rabbit07
July 18th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Greetings

During installation from the CD. On step 4 (Prepare Partitions), I really don't know what is required from me to do. Other than that if I run it from the CD it run fine with no problem. Wish I think this OS is awesome. Thanks

Are you planning on dual booting or do you want this to be your only OS?

Please check out the documentation for installation in this link. (https://help.ubuntu.com/) Click on the release you want to install and read through the documentation and if you have more questions please feel free to ask.

Let us know how it goes.

ArkangelD
July 18th, 2009, 09:33 PM
First of all thank guys for the fast reply.

Well I would like to make this my OS because I been having probelm with my CPU (windows xp). I currently download ubuntu because my CPU crach and none of the boot cd work, (it was doing the rebooting loop thing). Anyway on step 3 the partition screen is blank and all of the button options at the botton are not available. I just download wubi I guess to see if this work. I download it to my flashdrive, but seen like I cannot open it on ubuntu, wht can I do?. Any other suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks again

running_rabbit07
July 18th, 2009, 09:53 PM
While running the LiveCD go to System>Administration>Partition Editor or GParted. Does it see your partition there?

ArkangelD
July 18th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Hi

I try the Partition editor but is not showing anything, I try to refresh the list but still nothing.

running_rabbit07
July 19th, 2009, 01:22 AM
Hi

I try the Partition editor but is not showing anything, I try to refresh the list but still nothing.

Sounds like you have a bad hard drive. While in Live CD can you go to your home folder and see if it shows any computer files. If not then I think you may have a bad hard drive.

Sef
July 19th, 2009, 03:48 AM

Instead of installing or running Ubuntu, go down the menu to "check disk for errors" or something similar. Let's make sure that you have a good Live CD.

ArkangelD
July 19th, 2009, 05:16 AM
Running_Rabbit07

I check the home folder and all it show is the ubuntu files I also check the computer folder, there I saw all the devices for my computer like floppy, cd rom, DVD rom and all the flashdrives, but I couldn't find anything for my C: drive. The onlything elses there was a program file, wish all it contain was the ubuntu folder.

Sef

I did the "check disc for error" and "test memory" but both came out withought errors.

- I really thing is the hard drive. Because like I said before I think it crach, cuz the computer kept rebooting by it self in an eternal loop. It also said Media test failure, cable not detected.

running_rabbit07
July 19th, 2009, 06:24 AM
I would recommend you take it in to a local PC repair shop to get it checked out. It could be something as easy as a wire being bad or it could be the hard drive. If it is the hard drive some shops do have the equipment to copy a hard drive but that gets expensive. If you don't have a back-up of your OS and you can't get the drive copied, then, as you know, you have a copy of Ubuntu.

If you want something to use while you save up for a shop you can install to a flash drive or run the live cd and store your files on a flash drive temporarily until you can get it to the shop.

ArkangelD
July 19th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Thats a good Idea. I may have a hard drive laying around somewhere I'll try to installed my self, on the "Media test failure", It always said that for some reason, I had take the computer apart and put it back together a couple of times and still showing, ow. Anyway Thanks guys for all the help. Have a great weekend.

-Arkangel D.