PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Old Dell Laptop blue screen issue after install

WoodWitch
July 18th, 2009, 04:54 PM
New to Linux, need some assistance:

Dell Latitude C500 Laptop
800 Mhz, 128 MB, 10G

Installed Xubuntu 9.04 yesterday, seemed to work. Powered off. Powered on and then the following happened:

Xubuntu load screen
Blue Splash Screen
Login Screen, entered user & password
Blue Splash Screen........forever.

Reinstalled Xubuntu 9.04 last night, seemed to work. Played some games, got familiar with the system (I am a XP peep, but want to convert). Powered off.

This morning I powered on and the same thing happened. Read through tons of forum entries. Tried the whole Alt-F2 thing.....doesn't do anything. Tried the Ctr-Alt-Backspace.....just stay in the blue......

Any suggestions?:confused:

running_rabbit07
July 18th, 2009, 08:12 PM
New to Linux, need some assistance:

Dell Latitude C500 Laptop
800 Mhz, 128 MB, 10G

Installed Xubuntu 9.04 yesterday, seemed to work. Powered off. Powered on and then the following happened:

Xubuntu load screen
Blue Splash Screen
Login Screen, entered user & password
Blue Splash Screen........forever.

Reinstalled Xubuntu 9.04 last night, seemed to work. Played some games, got familiar with the system (I am a XP peep, but want to convert). Powered off.

This morning I powered on and the same thing happened. Read through tons of forum entries. Tried the whole Alt-F2 thing.....doesn't do anything. Tried the Ctr-Alt-Backspace.....just stay in the blue......

Any suggestions?:confused:
I am sorry that you are having that problem.

You don't have enough RAM to run Xubuntu, the minimum requirement is 192MB.

See absolute minimum installation at bottom of this page (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements#Lightweight%20alternative%20%28 Xubuntu%29) or directions to install the minimum via 8.04 install on this page (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/LowMemorySystems).

Or if you don't mind spending a few bucks you can get a one or two 256 or larger RAM chips for your system. Check with the vendow you purchase these from to make sure your motherboard can handle the size of RAM you want to buy. The 10 gig hard drive should work alright for a basic system.

Let us know how it goes.

BTW, I love your avatar, you into D&D?

WoodWitch
July 20th, 2009, 03:46 AM
:D Actually, I solved this problem about an hour after I posted it. The Alt-F2 actually did work, it only took about 5 minutes to show up. I did the xfce thing and the desktop came up and all is well. It does work on this laptop with only 128MB, but I ordered another 128MB today. The machine is actually capable of 512, but it is PC100 not PC133 so I would rather spend $14 to boost it to 256 than $80 for the 512. The laptop was free and my kids want to use it to emulate gaming consoles. So hey, why not, it will keep them off my computer.

And no, I'm not into D&D. The Wood Witch of the Forest Realm is my alter-ego! LOL

Thanks for the help anyways!