PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] multiple desktops

fusi.eon
July 18th, 2009, 04:12 PM
i've been using linux [kubuntu] for quite a while now.

the other day i tried opensolaris live cd, and in the multiple desktop feature, i noticed that there is a difference in what kubuntu offers.

for example, if on desktop 1, i've firefox open. and if i click on desktop 2, the taskbar clears [in opensolaris] and if i click on desktop 1, only then will it show firefox in the taskbar.. while for kubuntu, even if i click on desktop 2, it will show firefox open. is there any way to clear the task bar like it does in opensolaris?

sorry if this is a stupid question. but thanks!

ibutho
July 18th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Right click on the panel and in the panel settings untick "Show windows from all desktops". This maybe a bit different if using KDE4.

Zorael
July 18th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Yep, the KDE way is to similarly right click the task manager and enter its settings, then check Only show windows from the current desktop. If it's hard to right-click it (as in, you have task entries covering it), unlock widgets, hit the cashew on the panel, and then right-click the task manager again.

fusi.eon
July 18th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Right click on the panel and in the panel settings untick "Show windows from all desktops". This maybe a bit different if using KDE.

you're right. there's no such option.

now what?

fusi.eon
July 18th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Yep, the KDE way is to similarly right click the task manager and enter its settings, then check Only show windows from the current desktop. If it's hard to right-click it (as in, you have task entries covering it), unlock widgets, hit the cashew on the panel, and then right-click the task manager again.

thanks! that worked!

what does this option mean 'Only show windows from the current screen'? what's the difference between screen and desktop?

Zorael
July 18th, 2009, 04:56 PM
I guess the names can be a bit confusing.
"Desktops" are what you get when you split up your workspace on the same monitor, to use with a pager or as a cube.
"Screens" are separate monitors that share the currently running session (TwinView, Xinerama). In turn they can share desktops or have their own set.
"Displays" are separate X sessions that cannot talk to eachother (do not share apps). In turn, they can (obviously) have multiple screens, and by extension, multiple desktops.
So you always have at least one of each. Even in a usercase where there's no monitor attached (to instead be manipulated remotely), I'd argue that there's still a screen -- just not a monitor it's assigned to. Semantics, though.

fusi.eon
July 18th, 2009, 05:01 PM
ahh..thanks!