PDA

View Full Version : MoBo and CPU (amd) (looking for suggestions)

Mehall
July 18th, 2009, 03:48 PM
As the title suggests, I'm looking for suggestions for a Motherboard and CPU, AMD probably (I'll look at AM2+, since I can't afford AM3).

Budget: can stretch to £180, but I'd rather have an *okay* CPU with an upgradeable MoBo for around £130

Will look at bundle deals gladly (saw one in Maplins for £130, AMD Phenom X3 with a good MoBo, can;t remember what model)

SunnyRabbiera
July 18th, 2009, 03:56 PM
For motherboard gigabyte is best bet so I heard.
For CPU, I am not that educated in AMD so I dont know what to suggest there...
I am more of an intel person, they are more pricey then AMD but I know how intels work.

3rdalbum
July 18th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Yeah get an AM2+ motherboard, but do some research and find out which ones have BIOS updates to handle the latest AM3 CPUs so you can upgrade in the future.

I'd be looking at an AMD dual core. The last time I looked at AMD's triple-core range, the CPUs were a bit dinky and lacking in performance-per-core. Things might have changed, but I don't really see the point in going triple-core as I think most software will assume an even number of cores.

I always use Asus motherboards wherever possible. I've had a good run of them so far, and they have good attention-to-detail.

hessiess
July 18th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Yeah get an AM2+ motherboard, but do some research and find out which ones have BIOS updates to handle the latest AM3 CPUs so you can upgrade in the future.

I'd be looking at an AMD dual core. The last time I looked at AMD's triple-core range, the CPUs were a bit dinky and lacking in performance-per-core. Things might have changed, but I don't really see the point in going triple-core as I think most software will assume an even number of cores.

I always use Asus motherboards wherever possible. I've had a good run of them so far, and they have good attention-to-detail.

If an application is multi threaded, the OS will spread the load across any physical CPU's automatically. But as most apps are not multi threaded, and the average processor spends most of its time idling the number of cores is unimportant.