PDA

View Full Version : HTC Hero murders iPhone!

HappinessNow
July 18th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Inspired from this thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1208101

...and this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_joPueVBh8

cesarneri3 (1 week ago)
its not an iphone killer, it will murder it in cold blood!!!

My next cell phone will with out a doubt be the HTC Hero!

gnomeuser
July 18th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Dear HTC,

I want the Hero to have my love babies, please don't delay it six months to arrive in Denmark like you did with the Magic.

Hugs,
gnomeuser

cdekter
July 18th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Can hardly wait to install the ROM on my Magic!

Swarms
July 18th, 2009, 12:32 PM
I am also very keen on getting the Hero.

Gnomeuser, why don't you buy it simunlocked from Holland for example? 385 euro from this store:
http://www.belstore.nl/belstore/RAPRD/HTC-Hero/hhtcherowi.html?M5NoArtRel=&M5Option=&ab_agid=5

Edit: by the way, Engadget will deliver a thorough review of the HTC Hero this coming week.

vishzilla
July 18th, 2009, 01:10 PM
I wont say it will murder the iphone but oh boy it does looks neat!

DeadSuperHero
July 18th, 2009, 01:55 PM
I want it so very much. Beautiful phone.

Let's hope you don't have to pay an arm and a leg for service in the U.S.

mr.propre
July 18th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Does it support groupware solutions like Groupwise?

forrestcupp
July 18th, 2009, 02:09 PM
The video was boring. It was long and just kept showing the same things over and over.

I don't think it's going to kill the iPhone. For one thing, it won't run iPhone apps. Also, I didn't see any sign of it having any kind of motion sensor, which means it won't be able to run games that utilize that feature, like the iPhone does. The motion sensor thing is the only thing at all that makes me interested in the iPhone above my pocket pc phone.

I'm not saying the Hero isn't cool; I'm just saying it won't kill the phone that already has the foundation.

.Maleficus.
July 18th, 2009, 03:09 PM
No, it won't murder the iPhone. It's a nice looking phone but it doesn't have anything that the iPhone or Pre can't already do, and is missing some things that they can do. No reason for me to switch from my iPhone.

fatality_uk
July 18th, 2009, 03:18 PM
No native exchange support means that it wont work for businesses (mine included) smaller screen than the iPhone and few features that iPhone still has over it's rivals.

I don't own an iPhone, but love the design and UI.

Phone manufacturers, please don't build an iPhone killer, build a BETTER phone and people will buy THAT rather than "another" iPhone killer.

MikeTheC
July 18th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Inspired from this thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1208101

...and this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_joPueVBh8

My next cell phone will with out a doubt be the HTC Hero!

Well, while it looks nice, it really looks like a cross between an iPhone and a Palm Pre.

There's nothing there to recommend it to me.

GStubbs43
July 18th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Also, I didn't see any sign of it having any kind of motion sensor, which means it won't be able to run games that utilize that feature, like the iPhone does. The motion sensor thing is the only thing at all that makes me interested in the iPhone above my pocket pc phone.

It does have an accelerometer, like the iPhone, HTC Dream (G1), HTC Magic (MyTouch 3G), Wii Remotes, etc.

subdivision
July 18th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Based on my co-workers' and my wife's experience with HTC products, I will avoid this phone like the plague.

Quality issues abound. My wife had to replace her touch pro for the second time in less than a year because it just won't ring when people call.

forrestcupp
July 18th, 2009, 06:53 PM
It does have an accelerometer, like the iPhone, HTC Dream (G1), HTC Magic (MyTouch 3G), Wii Remotes, etc.

They should have shown that in their promotional video. If that video was made by the company, they did a poor job. It was kind of tedious and repetitive and evidently it didn't show some of the best features.

Sublime Porte
July 18th, 2009, 07:03 PM
For one thing, it won't run iPhone apps.

This has gotta be one of the poorest arguments ever used.

Newsflash!!! The iPhone can't run Android apps, nor Windows Mobile apps, nor Palm apps, nor Symbian apps...

In fact the iPhone can't even run Java apps, which pretty much every single phone in the world can do as a standard.

The fact that one platform does not run another platform's software is pretty much a given, how on earth you can see it as a 'major flaw' of one particular platform is beyond me.

Anyway with the open Android architecture, and heavy focus on development tools, my guess is that Android apps will very quickly outstrip iPhone apps anyway. You can't even develop an iPhone app unless you have a Mac... So the fact they've tied their development platform into their desktop OS is going to severely harm them in the near future. Developers on Windows, Linux & OSX will all be outdoing eachother to develop Android apps over the next few years.

HappinessNow
July 18th, 2009, 08:51 PM

Newsflash!!! The iPhone can't run Android apps, nor Windows Mobile apps, nor Palm apps, nor Symbian apps...

In fact the iPhone can't even run Java apps, which pretty much every single phone in the world can do as a standard.

The fact that one platform does not run another platform's software is pretty much a given, how on earth you can see it as a 'major flaw' of one particular platform is beyond me.

Anyway with the open Android architecture, and heavy focus on development tools, my guess is that Android apps will very quickly outstrip iPhone apps anyway. You can't even develop an iPhone app unless you have a Mac... So the fact they've tied their development platform into their desktop OS is going to severely harm them in the near future. Developers on Windows, Linux & OSX will all be outdoing eachother to develop Android apps over the next few years.

+1

Well said.

Eviltechie
July 18th, 2009, 09:20 PM
That is an android phone, right? If so, I'll take one.

Giant Speck
July 18th, 2009, 09:45 PM
It certainly looks nice, but it's not enough to make me give up my iPhone.

Oh, and I love the music they used for the video! It really helped make the phone look flashier.

Praill
July 18th, 2009, 09:54 PM
I can't believe so many people in the ubuntu forums have iphones. I can't find itunes in the repos anywhere ;-)

.Maleficus.
July 18th, 2009, 10:03 PM
I can't believe so many people in the ubuntu forums have iphones. I can't find itunes in the repos anywhere ;-)
Well, it's an amazing phone with great support, awesome apps, a great built-in media player and is built like a brick (meaning it's tough and sturdy, not crusty and heavy). For those of us who have Windows/OS X on another computer (or dual-boot) it's a dream come true.

Swarms
July 18th, 2009, 10:13 PM
I have an iPhone too, but its nearing 3 years of age (+ a smashed screen) and its more than time for a replacement.

hanzomon4
July 18th, 2009, 11:11 PM
While I like the hero I'm not sure if it will kill the iphone.. I don't think any phone will kill the iphone, just look at the ipod. Players with more features existed but apple has a knack for presenting a solid package. They give you a great OS, great 1st party apps, great hardware, great design all around, and slick marketing. And apple is known for providing reliable and stylish products that.. just work *barfs*

That type of mindshare goes along way

Swarms
July 18th, 2009, 11:13 PM
I am not interested in a iPhonekiller, just a solid and pretty touchphone with more than enough space for my music collection.

How much space does the Hero have (expanded with cards)?

hanzomon4
July 19th, 2009, 01:02 AM
I am not interested in a iPhonekiller, just a solid and pretty touchphone with more than enough space for my music collection.

Same here... I like the fact that the smartphone market is diverse. We got Android, WebOS, OS X, Nokia's Maemo, Blackberry's OS, Symbian.. etc as long as the market doesn't become reliant on one system then we win.

ghostandmachine
July 19th, 2009, 03:23 AM
there's too many buttons compared to the iphone sure looks amazing though.

HappinessNow
July 19th, 2009, 06:39 AM

Same here... I like the fact that the smartphone market is diverse. We got Android, WebOS, OS X, Nokia's Maemo, Blackberry's OS, Symbian.. etc as long as the market doesn't become reliant on one system then we win.

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=121589&d=1247981861http://www.htc.com/www/product/hero/specification.html

With the Expansion Slot that is microSD Memory card (SD 2.0 compatible) I think space will not be an issue.

hotweiss
July 19th, 2009, 08:34 AM
No native exchange support means that it wont work for businesses (mine included) smaller screen than the iPhone and few features that iPhone still has over it's rivals.

I don't own an iPhone, but love the design and UI.

Phone manufacturers, please don't build an iPhone killer, build a BETTER phone and people will buy THAT rather than "another" iPhone killer.

It does have native Exchange support.

DeadSuperHero
July 19th, 2009, 02:10 PM
From what I've been hearing, it doesn't support OGG playback?

This wouldn't be an issue for an end user, but my entire music collection (60 Gb) is in OGG. Hopefully they'll support it anyways?

Swarms
July 19th, 2009, 03:41 PM
http://www.htc.com/www/product/hero/specification.html

With the Expansion Slot that is microSD Memory card (SD 2.0 compatible) I think space will not be an issue.

What is the limit on that, 16 gb? That will be enough, I just hope the cards are not too expensive.

forrestcupp
July 19th, 2009, 08:14 PM

You think it's a poor argument because you totally miss my point. It's pretty obvious that phones can't run apps from a different platform. I'm not that stupid.

My point is that people who buy iPhones are pretty dedicated to the phone and the apps that they run. I honestly have never seen any palm, symbian, or pocket pc apps that rival the bling that the iPhone brings. But nevertheless, they have a dedicated base of followers who like their phones, they like the apps that they have already paid for, and they're not going to switch to another platform and have to buy all new apps just because there is a phone that is comparable to the one they have.

Hey, I'm not biased toward iPhones. I have a Windows Mobile phone, and I'll probably never own an iPhone.

HappinessNow
August 25th, 2009, 07:51 AM
You think it's a poor argument because you totally miss my point. It's pretty obvious that phones can't run apps from a different platform. I'm not that stupid.

My point is that people who buy iPhones are pretty dedicated to the phone and the apps that they run. I honestly have never seen any palm, symbian, or pocket pc apps that rival the bling that the iPhone brings. But nevertheless, they have a dedicated base of followers who like their phones, they like the apps that they have already paid for, and they're not going to switch to another platform and have to buy all new apps just because there is a phone that is comparable to the one they have.

Hey, I'm not biased toward iPhones. I have a Windows Mobile phone, and I'll probably never own an iPhone.Many people buy into Apple's cult like following, much like cattle being herded.

pwnst*r
August 25th, 2009, 02:59 PM
you'd better thank the iphone for this phone to even come to fruition.

meeples
August 25th, 2009, 03:04 PM
thats the T-Mobile G2 in the uk, right?

its sexy. but i prefer the htc magic. ;)

HappinessNow
August 25th, 2009, 06:33 PM
you'd better thank the iphone for this phone to even come to fruition.
Nah! the iPhone knocked of technology being used in Japan and South Korea for years, the iPhone is about 10 years behind in technology.

Copernicus1234
August 25th, 2009, 06:35 PM
I will get a HTC Hero, or perhaps the next Hero if it comes. In any case they have gotten things perfect with the Sense UI. Its the best Ive seen ever. And just knowing its built on top of Android which is a open source, therefore not representing Apple and its nazi appstore, makes me very happy.

Mark20
August 25th, 2009, 06:38 PM
HTC Dream FTW :)

pwnst*r
August 25th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Nah! the iPhone knocked of technology being used in Japan and South Korea for years, the iPhone is about 10 years behind in technology.

they got it popular and pushed other companies. fact.

HappinessNow
August 31st, 2009, 09:48 AM
HTC Dream FTW :)...I hear recycling bins being filled with cheap iPhones! :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYV9NNoI8Hc

Johnsie
August 31st, 2009, 04:39 PM
IPhone got what popular? Phones with applications, music, cameras and email were popular long before the IPhone. Look at the various Sony offerings over the years.

PurposeOfReason
August 31st, 2009, 05:44 PM
IPhone got what popular? Phones with applications, music, cameras and email were popular long before the IPhone. Look at the various Sony offerings over the years.
And how many people got those compared to the iphone? The iphone, while not offering much new itself, change the phone business.

Swarms
August 31st, 2009, 05:48 PM

Touchscreen phones!?

ELD
August 31st, 2009, 05:51 PM
I have the one before it the "G1", best phone ever.

Regenweald
August 31st, 2009, 07:57 PM
And the nokia n900 to rule them all.

Baneblade
August 31st, 2009, 08:05 PM
I still want a G1 personally, this looks alright, just a little too much like the iPhone for my tastes. Give me actual keys to press over crappy touchscreens anyday

HappinessNow
August 31st, 2009, 08:28 PM
And how many people got those compared to the iphone? The iphone, while not offering much new itself, change the phone business.Only in the USA Not worldwide.

pwnst*r
August 31st, 2009, 09:11 PM

the iphone was the first to most all of that RIGHT from a consumer standpoint. camera sucks though.

HappinessNow
August 31st, 2009, 09:31 PM
the iphone was the first to most all of that RIGHT from a consumer standpoint. camera sucks though.
The HTC Hero is reported to have a 5 megapixel camera, perhaps you should look into it. :P

PurposeOfReason
August 31st, 2009, 09:53 PM
The HTC Hero is reported to have a 5 megapixel camera, perhaps you should look into it. :P
MP means nothing on most camera phones because the lens sucks.

HappinessNow
August 31st, 2009, 10:25 PM
MP means nothing on most camera phones because the lens sucks.
True, do you think that is also true for the Sony phone with 8 mp and Zeiss lenses?

PurposeOfReason
August 31st, 2009, 10:39 PM
True, do you think that is also true for the Sony phone with 8 mp and Zeiss lenses?
I think that at that point just buy yourself a good camera. One day we might have good all in one devices, but we'll also have brain chips that have HUDs on our eyes so it'll be moot point.

blur xc
August 31st, 2009, 10:43 PM

Yes. Any phone camera, though great compared to other phone cameras, sucks !@##$$ compared to almost any dedicated camera.

BM

pwnst*r
August 31st, 2009, 11:20 PM

i'm always looking into the next best thing, but stuff i've read says internally it's the Magic, which, is nothing to get too excited over.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/23/htc-hero-review/

cprofitt
September 1st, 2009, 12:20 AM
While I like the hero I'm not sure if it will kill the iphone.. I don't think any phone will kill the iphone, just look at the ipod. Players with more features existed but apple has a knack for presenting a solid package. They give you a great OS, great 1st party apps, great hardware, great design all around, and slick marketing. And apple is known for providing reliable and stylish products that.. just work *barfs*

That type of mindshare goes along way

The fact that once you get one you are locked in helps Apple keep people too.

pwnst*r
September 1st, 2009, 12:28 AM

define locked in, since that's a few things.

hanzomon4
September 1st, 2009, 12:31 AM

I think that may actually hurt them in the long run. I mean look at AOL.

Giant Speck
September 1st, 2009, 02:43 AM
define locked in, since that's a few things.

Well, you know, Steve Jobs comes to your house, knocks you out with chloroform and then locks you up in his secret underground prison located beneath the Denver International Airport.

pwnst*r
September 1st, 2009, 03:41 AM
well why didn't he say so? i know all ab00t that.

AmpersUK
December 28th, 2009, 11:58 PM

I hear a lot from Linux people who say Windows is a "locked in" product and they prefer Linux.

And then, to my amazement, they buy Apple, the most "locked in" product in the world.

I have had the Hero for some time now and even with seven "home" screens, it isn't enough. I have downloaded so many apps. I show them to my younger friends with Apple and they are amazed that some of them are the same apps, and instead of £5 or £10, they were free, or 99p.

I had an RSS feed to Google Reader on new apps but had to delete it as so many were coming through each hour that it was too much.

I am really glad I got rid of the iPhone I can tell you.The next stage is to get the source code and experiment.

And I am seventy :-)

pwnst*r
December 29th, 2009, 12:08 AM
what's funny about this whole thing is the thread title.

hanzomon4
December 29th, 2009, 12:14 AM
I finally bought an android device, the Eris(Hero +1 kinda), and man it's great! It looks great, it makes a great webtablet, a great phone, so so media player(sound quality is not as good as the iphone, plus it works with all of my OSes. Did I mention that I "bought" it for free at best buy? yeah, yeah...

Once it upgrades to 2.0 Android it's going to kick ***

HappinessNow
December 29th, 2009, 04:29 AM
I finally bought an android device, the Eris(Hero +1 kinda), and man it's great! It looks great, it makes a great webtablet, a great phone, so so media player(sound quality is not as good as the iphone, plus it works with all of my OSes. Did I mention that I "bought" it for free at best buy? yeah, yeah...

Once it upgrades to 2.0 Android it's going to kick ***Nice to hear, I hear that the HTC Eris comes free with a 2 year contract with Verizon. At this point I am Contract free, but the HTC Eris is tempting. If it was the Motorola Droid I would jump on it, but I may hold out for Google's Nexus One.

mkendall
December 29th, 2009, 06:16 AM
And I am seventy :-)

And you don't look a day over sixty-eight.

amitabhishek
December 29th, 2009, 07:22 AM
I hear a lot from Linux people who say Windows is a "locked in" product and they prefer Linux.
And then, to my amazement, they buy Apple, the most "locked in" product in the world.

+100. Beats me too!

My biggest gripe is their inability to release a Linux version of iTunes. So if I have to use an iPhone I need to invest $659 for an iPhone (obviously) and another $320 for a Windows license. Thank you very much!

Personally the only closed sourced product I use is PS3 because there is no open source option. I am happy with my Android phone which even mounts on my PS3.

Giant Speck
December 29th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Nice to hear, I hear that the HTC Eris comes free with a 2 year contract with Verizon. At this point I am Contract free, but the HTC Eris is tempting. If it was the Motorola Droid I would jump on it, but I may hold out for Google's Nexus One.

So, have you actually purchased a phone?

Every time I read one of these threads of yours, I get the impression that you are always interested in one specific phone, but then decide not to buy it because you are holding out for the next best thing to be released.

HappinessNow
December 29th, 2009, 08:39 AM
So, have you actually purchased a phone?

Every time I read one of these threads of yours, I get the impression that you are always interested in one specific phone, but then decide not to buy it because you are holding out for the next best thing to be released.Still actually waiting, searching, discussing.

hoppipolla
December 29th, 2009, 09:01 AM
looks awesome to me :)

starcannon
December 29th, 2009, 09:04 AM
If someone will buy me an unlocked one I'll use it :)

hanzomon4
December 29th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Nice to hear, I hear that the HTC Eris comes free with a 2 year contract with Verizon. At this point I am Contract free, but the HTC Eris is tempting. If it was the Motorola Droid I would jump on it, but I may hold out for Google's Nexus One.

I hear ya, I wanted the Droid when I went in but I then I thought about it. I could get the free Eris now and if I don't like it return it in 30 days for the Droid. Low and behold the Eris was up to the job.

For me anyway all the talk about spec sexiness was getting in the way of "does it do what I want" common sense. Sure the droid would have been a great phone but the Eris is also great at a much better price. That said if you want the Droid get it from Wal Mart online, only 149 there.

gnomeuser
December 29th, 2009, 11:31 AM
If someone will buy me an unlocked one I'll use it :)

Funny you should ask, I was just thinking of what to do for my charitable action for the week.. feeding starving orphans is so.. cliché.

I'll get back to you.

gn2
December 29th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Still actually waiting, searching, discussing.

Do that for long enough and you'll realise that you don't need one of these fancy gadgets, a basic phone will do fine.

HappinessNow
December 29th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Do that for long enough and you'll realise that you don't need one of these fancy gadgets, a basic phone will do fine.

The more I wait the more I realize this!...it pays to wait. :P

pwnst*r
December 29th, 2009, 02:38 PM

for some.

koleoptero
December 29th, 2009, 02:42 PM
HTC Hero murders iPhone!

Gotta love overly dramatic titles.

Giant Speck
December 29th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Remember way back when, when everyone thought the Palm Pre was going to be the iPhone killer?

Good times... good times...

pwnst*r
December 29th, 2009, 03:04 PM
indeed. that was laughable.

starcannon
December 30th, 2009, 08:52 PM
My neighbor just got one of these, they're pretty nice. I think I like the G1 better even though its got an older version of Android on it though. The hardware keyboard is a very nice feature.

"iPhone Killer", probably not; iPhone is popular because iPhone is popular, it has a lot less to do with what it is in comparison to it's competition, and a lot more do do with it's brand name recognition and "all the cool kids have one" syndrome. Don't get me wrong, the iPhone is pretty slick, but it's popularity is there for more than tech reasons, social reasons play a lions share of the weight in my opinion.

Either way, I think anyone would be happy to have "an Hero" or an iPhone.

GL and HF

HappinessNow
December 30th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Either way, I think anyone would be happy to have "an Hero" or an iPhone.

I would be happy if someone paid the hefty monthly service fees!

starcannon
December 30th, 2009, 09:26 PM
I would be happy if someone paid the hefty monthly service fees!
Buy them outright, and unlocked. Then you get to choose what gets turned on, and what does not. Sure its a heftier up front cost, but it is much, much cheaper than a contract.

AmpersUK
December 30th, 2009, 09:29 PM
My neighbor just got one of these, they're pretty nice. I think I like the G1 better even though its got an older version of Android on it though. The hardware keyboard is a very nice feature.
GL and HF

The Keyboard on the Hero is great, not sure of the G1 but I had the S710 from HTC and the screen keyboard is a dozen times better. accurate and very very fast to use.

Agree with your comments about the social side of the iPhone. Just can't bring myself to buy from a company that locks me in, which is why I use Linux.

jomiolto
December 30th, 2009, 10:43 PM
I'm waiting for the xPhone (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udlxr8t1nZM) :P

AmpersUK
December 30th, 2009, 10:59 PM
I'm waiting for the xPhone (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udlxr8t1nZM) :P

Wait for version 2, this one only makes instant coffee.

:-)

But if you really want to know about a great phone, out next year - Google "Else" I have seen the proto type and it is really something else.