PDA

View Full Version : So I used Gimp today...

SonnHalter
July 18th, 2009, 04:44 AM
So I used Gimp for the first time in a while today, and I'm very impressed. As a longtime Photoshop User, Gimp finally seems to compete with and have the same depth as PS. A few years ago when I was just getting into graphic design I used Gimp but then moved onto PS.

I hope that if I get cedega, I can fully move onto ubuntu and leave windows behind forever.

jenkinbr
July 18th, 2009, 05:04 AM
:)

Glad you like it.

I personally do all my image editing in the GIMP - never known anything different. So many people say "I won't use gimp because I need the superquatrocubic-radiance[1] filter that only PS has" Why would you need that, I don't know - GIMP already comes with a ton of plugins I don't have any practical use for.

GIMP FTW!!!

[1] This is a plugin name I made up to illustrate my point.

sdlynx
July 18th, 2009, 05:22 AM
I agree with jenkinbr

although I can also use Photoshop, I like GIMP, 1 because its cross-platform, 2 because its free, and 3 because its just as powerful (well at least as much as I've used it so far in comparison).

Viva
July 18th, 2009, 05:33 AM
GIMP has come a long way. It is finally ready to compete with proprietary programs.

swoll1980
July 18th, 2009, 05:42 AM
GIMP is like Open Office. For 95% of people (I pulled that stat out of my rear) it does everything they would ever need it to do. Like MS Office, and Photoshop, there are functionalities that the other 5% can't live w/o. What these functions are I could never figure out, but I know they exist.

jenkinbr
July 18th, 2009, 05:52 AM
The basic things I do with the GIMP:

Crop
Resize (scale)
minor fixing of scanned photos (usually just by cropping and auto-balancing the color levels)
Web graphics (simple buttons, fancy text, etc)
Web gradients
editing my avitar to give it a glossy button-like effect

And that's about it. :)

joninkrakow
July 18th, 2009, 09:32 AM
It's still lacking one thing for me--16 bit support. Doing any real editing with a mere 256 shades of grey will leave gaps, and create banding, etc. It is not every day I need 16 bit, but when I need it, I need it. CinePaint does 16 bit, is based on an older version of the Gimp, and is also nice for those occasions--but I'm also a big fan of the Gimp--I'm just waiting for 16 bit support.

-)on

Sealbhach
July 18th, 2009, 09:40 AM
GIMP is like Open Office. For 95% of people (I pulled that stat out of my rear) it does everything they would ever need it to do.

Yup, and for many people, home users, Fotoxx (http://kornelix.squarespace.com/fotoxx-gallery/) provides most of the functionality they would ever want.

madjr
July 18th, 2009, 09:51 AM
It's still lacking one thing for me--16 bit support. Doing any real editing with a mere 256 shades of grey will leave gaps, and create banding, etc. It is not every day I need 16 bit, but when I need it, I need it. CinePaint does 16 bit, is based on an older version of the Gimp, and is also nice for those occasions--but I'm also a big fan of the Gimp--I'm just waiting for 16 bit support.

-)on

for 16 bit i would also try Krita

also many ps users seem to like the 1 panel/window interface of krita

HappinessNow
July 18th, 2009, 09:56 AM
So I used Gimp for the first time in a while today, and I'm very impressed. As a longtime Photoshop User, Gimp finally seems to compete with and have the same depth as PS. A few years ago when I was just getting into graphic design I used Gimp but then moved onto PS.

I hope that if I get cedega, I can fully move onto ubuntu and leave windows behind forever.

Photoshop is pretty outdated so that isn't a great bar to meet, CS4 is much more user friendly and intuitive then older Photoshop releases and the GIMP/GIMPshop.

CS4 with Bridge and Lightroom 2 is unbeatable to date.

I do use the GIMP for quick and light unprofessional work.

Labello
July 18th, 2009, 10:17 AM

-)on

This should be added in 2.8 I think.

jenkinbr
July 18th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Photoshop is pretty outdated so that isn't a great bar to meet, CS4 is much more user friendly and intuitive then older Photoshop releases and the GIMP/GIMPshop.

It's still called Photoshop. http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/photoshop/

SunnyRabbiera
July 18th, 2009, 04:03 PM
GIMP does its job well, the only thing it doesnt do so well is lighting effects.
But meh at least it doesnt cost over $500

NightwishFan
July 18th, 2009, 04:17 PM
I think GTK+ was originally created for Gimp.

I have got a few Windows friends hooked on it. Photoshop does not really compare, it is so much harder to use than GIMP. And more expensive. Photoshop may be the single program I dislike the most, simply because the people that praise it do not even pay for it. :(