PDA

View Full Version : Is it me, or do KDE4 apps seem to run faster under Gnome?

L815
July 17th, 2009, 11:58 PM
I installed a few kde4 apps the other day under gnome, and I noticed that they run quite a bit faster, and start quite a bit faster than they felt on KDE4. Even with Compiz enabled on gnome and compiz disabled on KDE4, it felt faster.

Could there be an explanation for this, or is it just me :p?

pluviosity
July 18th, 2009, 12:03 AM
I've only even had the opposite experience: KDE apps do better in their native environment.

swoll1980
July 18th, 2009, 01:37 AM
It's you.

L815
July 18th, 2009, 01:39 AM
:(, not that it matters though.

TBOL3
July 18th, 2009, 02:32 AM
No, I have the same experience too.

I love the gnome desktop, but when it comes to apps, I love them to be qt. Weird, I know.

Skripka
July 18th, 2009, 03:08 AM
Why were you doing using Compiz under KDE? If you're going to rag on KDE apps run them in their fully native environment before making assertions.

T.J.
July 18th, 2009, 03:29 AM
Honestly, Compiz is designed primarily for the Gnome environment, and it's also BETA software. If you want proper graphics performance on KDE 4, please try KWin first.

Good luck!

L815
July 18th, 2009, 03:59 AM
Why were you doing using Compiz under KDE? If you're going to rag on KDE apps run them in their fully native environment before making assertions.

My mistake. I was under the impression 'desktop effects' under KDE4 was using compiz as the underlying engine.

I like a mix of qt apps and gtk apps. As long as they both can co-exist under any environment, I'm happy :D

T.J.
July 20th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Oh no, KWin (KDE 4's window manager) has its effects completely native to the environment, although some distributions or users install Compiz on KDE and experience poor performance as well as graphics glitches.

I found that apps co-exist better under KDE than Gnome, especially WINE - because the Gnome settings daemon has some very bad habits - including overriding the X server settings. For example, don't type "xset r off" (a standard X utility) in a terminal under Gnome. You will freeze or worse. If you do the same in KDE, it's fine with it and works as intended. All that does is disable key repeat on the keyboard, which is necessary for certain WINE applications to run properly (WINE keeps its own keyboard buffer it seems).