PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] cant get 9.04 to install

michaeljay63
July 17th, 2009, 10:40 PM
first off I'm a newbie to ubuntu. I downloaded 9.04 and did the checksum with winmd5sum with the hash online and checksum was good. I burned the live cd with 2 seperate cd burners and upon install I ran the check cd integrity and both disks came back with 1 error. I decided to install anyways and at 48% install I recieved an input output error says could be the cd or drive please help

I'm trying to install on a HP media center m7060n
P4
1 gig ram
intel 82915g/gv/910gl onboard graphics
HP 640b DVD writer

I cleaned the drives with compressed air and lens cleaner on the hp and my laptop
am redownloading 9.04 from a diff site to see if its any better
thanks

merlinus
July 17th, 2009, 10:44 PM
If the checksum is good, then the burn is bad, not the .iso. Burn at no more than 4x.

If that does not work, then your cd drive is suspect. Trying to install when the cd check shows errors is a surefire recipe for disaster.

michaeljay63
July 17th, 2009, 10:48 PM
If the checksum is good, then the burn is bad, not the .iso. Burn at no more than 4x.

If that does not work, then your cd drive is suspect. Trying to install when the cd check shows errors is a surefire recipe for disaster.

Thanks will try that

os56k
July 17th, 2009, 11:21 PM
If your problem again exists, I sueggest you to order a free ubuntu CD. Then you are sure that your disk is correct and again if the problem exists, you must check your dvd drive.

You can order free ubuntu CD from the link below. It say to take 4 to 6 weeks to deliver the CD but it was delivered in 10 days for me.

https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

I don't know why some times this link does not work but it works if you try the next day or some days later.

michaeljay63
July 18th, 2009, 08:01 PM
ok i burned new cd at no more than 4x checked disk integrity on both cd drives on the HP and both drives came back with errors. Checked the disk integrity on my gateway laptop and result was no errors. I still couldn't believe both drives were bad so I changed out IDE cable and recieved errors again. I have an old compaq presario and robbed the cd drive out of it and hooked it up to the Hp disk read no error and installed 9.04 with no problems
I ran all the updates and I am excited to learn more about ubuntu. Thanks for all your help and I will be sure to post if I have any probs in the future.:D

merlinus
July 18th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Excellent! It is not often that the hardware is at fault, but obviously this was the case for you. Fortunately you had other cd drives!

Have fun!

michaeljay63
July 18th, 2009, 09:08 PM
thanks again with the advice if anything i learned with this HP is I got what I paid for!

os56k
July 23rd, 2009, 09:12 PM
But I have HP Pavilion dv5 and I have no problem with it. maybe your case is an exception but HP is good product.:popcorn:

kdetech
July 23rd, 2009, 09:26 PM
Had same problem with an lg drive once but it works fine on my ASUS drive