PDA

View Full Version : fedoras community?

ELD
July 17th, 2009, 10:01 PM
I have only just noticed that fedora now has a similair application to Launchpad -> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/community/

How long has that been around?!

froggyswamp
July 17th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Before organizing their community Red Hat needs to stop treating its users as beta testers of their next RHEL version. Example, I installed Fedora 11 the next day it was available on the net and after installation the updater asked to install about 150MB of updates, not to mention that Fedora despite being backed by a (much) bigger company than Canonical is typically (much) more buggy than Ubuntu.

Mehall
July 17th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Before organizing their community Red Hat needs to stop treating its users as beta testers of their next RHEL version. Example, I installed Fedora 11 the next day it was available on the net and after installation the updater asked to install about 150MB of updates, not to mention that Fedora despite being backed by a (much) bigger company than Canonical is typically (much) more buggy than Ubuntu.

both of those are down to the fact that Fedora is one of the more up to date distro's, or it attempts to be, while still not being rolling-release.

They are much more willing to ship more recent software, even if it is likely to have bugs.

kelvin spratt
July 17th, 2009, 10:14 PM
I always Thought Fedora Was RHELs Developement Distro thats why it can be a bit buggy at times just like Sid/Sidux is for Debian.

vinutux
July 17th, 2009, 10:21 PM

Yeh...thatz their business model...test in fedora when it stable sale the stable branch as RHEL ..novel used same business model and test their beta platform as opensuse......

alas ubuntu is always free..........

Arup
July 17th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Fedora 11 disappointed me as I found the package manager buggy, even after it would install Opera, the libraries needed to be installed manually. There were many other nagging issues which will keep me off it, I am used to Ubuntu's convenience and vast range of software available with a nice GUI Syanptic or super fast apt-get and Ubuntu has the best interface and support.

vinutux
July 17th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Fedora 11 disappointed me as I found the package manager buggy, even after it would install Opera, the libraries needed to be installed manually. There were many other nagging issues which will keep me off it, I am used to Ubuntu's convenience and vast range of software available with a nice GUI Syanptic or super fast apt-get and Ubuntu has the best interface and support.

mmm.........both redhat and novel Used us for testing and developing their commercial versions

ELD
July 17th, 2009, 10:34 PM
All good points, Launchpad seems a lot more newbie friendly too, i wasn't really sure what i was doing when i came to that page, Launchpad is really easy.

23meg
July 17th, 2009, 10:57 PM
I have only just noticed that fedora now has a similair application to Launchpad -> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/community/

How long has that been around?!

It's quite young, about a month old. It's pretty decent.

Before going on off-topic rants, people need to stop treating all distributions as if they had to have identical goals, target audiences and policies.

Complaining about things breaking every once in a while in Fedora is the flipside of complaining about Ubuntu not shipping new upstream versions in stable release updates: roughly speaking, Ubuntu does so not to break like Fedora does, and Fedora does so not to stagnate like Ubuntu does. Different goals, different policies, impossible and unnecessary to satisfy everyone.

ELD
July 17th, 2009, 11:01 PM
It's quite young, about a month old. It's pretty decent.

Before going on off-topic rants, people need to stop treating all distributions as if they had to have identical goals, target audiences and policies.

Complaining about things breaking every once in a while in Fedora is the flipside of complaining about Ubuntu not shipping new upstream versions in stable release updates: roughly speaking, Ubuntu does so not to break like Fedora does, and Fedora does so not to stagnate like Ubuntu does. Different goals, different policies, impossible and unnecessary to satisfy everyone.

It doesn't seem too bad, it is a little confusing though. It is about time i think, Launchpad is one of the reasons i think Ubuntu is so popular with the more experienced users to find and add software.

And you are right, people shouldn't expecting the same from one distro to another and if they don't like what it is all about they should move on.

froggyswamp
July 17th, 2009, 11:23 PM

Please, such wise and sensible PR and bafflegab I could replicate myself better if I wanted to impress a few newbies.

twright
July 17th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Fedora includes newer, more bleeding edge software. That is at the same time the worst and best thing about it and it depends who you are as to whether you can cope with that. Apart from being beta testing for RHEL it is also pretty much beta testing for the whole Linux community. Ubuntu would not be half as stable as it is if most issues had not already came up and been resolved in Fedora.

gnomeuser
July 17th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Fedora isn't anymore a beta for RHEL and any other distro shipping the code that will go into their next release. We all test for them and we should be glad that we do. They pour a lot of time and money into development from the kernel, toolchain over the X stack, drivers and much of GNOME. They also provide open source management tools and middleware stuff. The more solid our testing is of platforms we use, the more stable that software will be and the better products Red Hat and market to their customers along with well paid support contracts - thus fueling the circle of goodness that brings us the OS we use today regardless of it's Linux flavor.

As for Fedora Community being a Launchpad clone, it's not, it's more meant to be a collection of information for package maintainers. Launchpad is much more than this and executed differently. Nor is FC intended to really compete with Launchpad in this area but more serve a need they see for their packaging community. It has largely grown out of the fact that every subset of package management was developed from existing pieces like Bugzilla and Trac or built from scratch such as the build system Koji or the updates system Bodhi. None of this work really had the unified vision so as a maintainer it always felt like different worlds you had to poke in with no relation or collaboration. FC is an attempt to address those problems.

They might do more with it in the future but for now this is the scope.

I used to be a Fedora package maintainer so I know the strangeness these many systems requires, however I am not sure this is the answer that is needed. It is shiny but it honestly doesn't address the functionality problems I had with the process at all.

Antman
July 17th, 2009, 11:34 PM
it's quite young, about a month old. It's pretty decent.

Complaining about things breaking every once in a while in fedora is the flipside of complaining about ubuntu not shipping new upstream versions in stable release updates: Roughly speaking, ubuntu does so not to break like fedora does, and fedora does so not to stagnate like ubuntu does. Different goals, different policies, impossible and unnecessary to satisfy everyone.

+1

Antman
July 17th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Both Fedora and Ubuntu have their weak and strong points. That doesn't make one better than the other; maybe just better for YOU and YOUR hardware.

froggyswamp
July 17th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Now let's brace ourselves and let the euphemisms pour further

nitehawk777
July 18th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Now let's brace ourselves and let the euphemisms pour further

LOL!!! ....(OK,...It was funny, but terrible,..I shouldn't have laughed)...
<<snicker>> <<snicker>>

twright
July 18th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Fedora isn't anymore a beta for RHEL and any other distro
This may be true however fedora is considered the upstream for RHEL and they constantly make changes such as including pulseaudio, enabling KMS, switching to UXA in the intel driver (I think), switching to ext4, including the new branch of GDM, shipping a beta of Firefox 3.5, switching to packagekit and replacing pidgin with empathy before any other distros think that they are ready. Fedora 11 includes many new technologies which will not be included in Ubuntu Karmic but will certainly become the standard for all distros in a few years. Fedora has been said to stand for "Freedom, Friends and Firsts" and this is what makes it so great for (upstream) developers and anyone who wants the very best array of free software available.