PDA

View Full Version : What a waste of bandwidth...

handy
July 17th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Has anyone noticed how shallow the conversation is on non-technical (sub)forums these days?

I have been looking around various forums & have noticed that if the conversation extends beyond technical discussion it really is mostly only concerned with very superficial social, gender based/biased, fluff.

Which is most unfortunate in my humble opinion, as the medium is available for us to get seriously involved in expressing the best that we have to give...

Therefore I expect this thread to die a sudden death for two reasons really, one, most of the people using the community cafe have got nothing intelligent to say, & two, the CoC prohibits intelligent conversation.

This set of circumstances is far from conducive regarding the promotion of intelligent discussion.

What a waste.

subdivision
July 17th, 2009, 05:53 PM
So you posted a thread that you know will be closed about how worthless you think the threads here are?

What a waste of bandwidth.

Swarms
July 17th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Everything is relative.

starcannon
July 17th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Has anyone noticed how shallow the conversation is on non-technical (sub)forums these days?

I have been looking around various forums & have noticed that if the conversation extends beyond technical discussion it really is mostly only concerned with very superficial social, gender based/biased, fluff.

Which is most unfortunate in my humble opinion, as the medium is available for us to get seriously involved in expressing the best that we have to give...

Therefore I expect this thread to die a sudden death for two reasons really, one, most of the people using the community cafe have got nothing intelligent to say, & two, the CoC prohibits intelligent conversation.

This set of circumstances is far from conducive regarding the promotion of intelligent discussion.

What a waste.
The grim reality is, that most people when thrown into intelligent discussion/debate, will at some point become very emotional, knees will start jerking, and pretty soon it just turns into a freak fest; sadly this is likely why we have rules and moderators that must strictly limit how "deep" things are allowed to get.

Now that said, if you have a forum somewhere that would facilitate deep meaningful discussion, I'd add it to my places to haunt.

GL and HF

The Real Dave
July 17th, 2009, 06:24 PM

What a waste.

One of the beautiful things about Linux is FREEDOM. So people are free to talk about what you consider "fluff", if they so wish. Keep in mind that your opinions, those of one man, matter very little when sized against those of 100 men. Therefore, your opinion is, thankfully, not law, and what you consider "fluff", may be quite important to another person.

You might keep such things in consideration in the future

MikeTheC
July 17th, 2009, 06:25 PM
My girlfriend and I *frequently* chat about off-the-wall stuff that doesn't matter, and neither of us has a problem with it. If we can do that and it's ok, then why can't us members do the same thing here?

handy
July 17th, 2009, 07:08 PM
So you posted a thread that you know will be closed about how worthless you think the threads here are?

What a waste of bandwidth.

I did not post this thread with for knowledge of its closure. I can be telepathic, but know not of this trivialities future. Therefor the waste of bandwidth is completely your personal judgment.

Everything is relative.

Right, thanks...

The grim reality is, that most people when thrown into intelligent discussion/debate, will at some point become very emotional, knees will start jerking, and pretty soon it just turns into a freak fest; sadly this is likely why we have rules and moderators that must strictly limit how "deep" things are allowed to get.

Now that said, if you have a forum somewhere that would facilitate deep meaningful discussion, I'd add it to my places to haunt.

GL and HF

You are always welcome at ostalk.org, it is still a fairly new & small community, though you will find that it is made up of a number of familiar characters. :)

One of the beautiful things about Linux is FREEDOM. So people are free to talk about what you consider "fluff", if they so wish. Keep in mind that your opinions, those of one man, matter very little when sized against those of 100 men. Therefore, your opinion is, thankfully, not law, and what you consider "fluff", may be quite important to another person.

You might keep such things in consideration in the future

Thank you so very much for your deep & meaningful words of wisdom. :-|

My girlfriend and I *frequently* chat about off-the-wall stuff that doesn't matter, and neither of us has a problem with it. If we can do that and it's ok, then why can't us members do the same thing here?

I've got nothing against mindless chat.

Though in regard to this cafe, I think that it would be nice to see more mindful content here, as it would make the place far more interesting, as opposed to being the boring place that it has turned into over the last year or two.

Pogeymanz
July 17th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Woke up on the wrong side of the bed today, Handy?

I have to disagree about the Cafe here at Ubuntuforums, though. I often see very interesting topics pop up here about some piece of neat software or some interview with *whoever*.

MikeTheC
July 17th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Woke up on the wrong side of the bed today, Handy?

I have to disagree about the Cafe here at Ubuntuforums, though. I often see very interesting topics pop up here about some piece of neat software or some interview with *whoever*.

+1

I really LOL'd over *that* one...

Nothing personal, Handy. :p

Tipped OuT
July 17th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Well.. all I've been seeing lately is topics about bacon, comics/animes/movies and Linux girls. Yep, this is the bestest.

KiwiNZ
July 17th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Ubuntu Forums is not compulsory. Dont like it, dont read it.

Now where are my keys?

I put them somewhere...................ahhhhh here