PDA

View Full Version : i think pc-cpu market is depressing...

HELLO_science
July 17th, 2009, 04:41 PM
It is all Intel and a few AMD chips basiclly. Sure you can find nanos and some weird ARM devices but Intel really has a hold on the market... It really turns me off to computers, really.

It sucks because it supresses innovaton, raises prices, makes code restricted more often, evil etc...

Mhat do you think?

DownTown22
July 17th, 2009, 06:14 PM
I'm not sure about that.....

There's been amazing innovation in CPU's over the last few years.
And price....well, I've never really found CPU's to be that expensive. Mind you, Intel is usually more expensive than a comparable AMD.

And evil? Why are they evil?

It seems every time a company gets big and becomes #1 in their industry/field, all of a sudden everybody says they're evil....makes no sense to me.

subdivision
July 17th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Are you kidding me? What's to be depressed about? Computer parts are cheap enough now to allow far more people access to them.

Then those people connect to the internet and...

Well now I'M depressed.

MaxIBoy
July 17th, 2009, 06:45 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with a standardized instruction set (although there are far better choices than x86.)

But more manufacturers would be nice. (I know there's VIA, but don't they only make low-end chips?)

.Maleficus.
July 17th, 2009, 06:52 PM
I think you've got it wrong :).

Lets start with innovation. Intel having better products than AMD forces AMD to become innovative. If they keep churning out the stuff they have been they'll simply go under.

Raises prices? No, it forces AMD to lower prices to even have a chance of being competitive. Sure, Intel can raise prices if they want but they have the right to - they have the better product. On the other hand, if they raise them too much they'll simply lose business.

Code restriction? I assume you mean using ICC/IFC? Well, if people want to use those that's their choice really, but I don't see how those compilers would even make a dent on CPU sales. If you meant code restriction in another way, please let me know.

Evil? That's getting into tinfoil hat territory IMO.

AMD basically just needs to get their act together. Intel is doing everything right and there's really nothing wrong with that. If you don't want to pay the extra money for a better product, then don't :). AMD is still around and even though the processors aren't as good as Intel's offerings, they work.

RiceMonster
July 17th, 2009, 06:54 PM
AMD and Intel compete directly with each other which creates competition as it is. As far as I'm concerned, we don't need another architecture for desktop PCs, as you seem to be implying, because that will just convolute things.