PDA

View Full Version : Removing Suse 11.1

Chris62
July 17th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Hi,

I have a dual boot machine running Windows 7 and Suse 11.1. I put Suse on the machine to see what it was like as one can't really tell from a live CD and as it is not to my liking I want to remove it and replace it with Ubuntu.

How can I remove Suse and how can it be done without affecting Windows?

ibutho
July 17th, 2009, 04:15 PM
If you are replacing openSUSE with Ubuntu, you could just go through the Ubuntu installation and choose the openSUSE partitions for use with Ubuntu. Make sure you choose to format them and this will overwrite openSUSE.

prshah
July 17th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Suse 11.1
it is not to my liking I want to remove it and replace it with Ubuntu.

Just a suggestion: In my personal opinion, OpenSUSE is superb; I don't think you would much like Ubuntu after OpenSUSE.

Chris62
July 17th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Hi prshah thanks for your comment didn't you mean "I don't think you would much like OpenSUSE after Ubuntu"?! Just a comment!

Chris

Chris62
July 17th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Thanks ibutho, I am fairly inexperienced with any form of Linux so you will probably think this is a silly question, but how will I know which are the OpenSUSE partitions? Will the Ubuntu installation program indicate them? The last time I went blindly into something I had to reinstall Ubuntu; don't want to do that again!

ibutho
July 18th, 2009, 08:29 AM
The Ubuntu partitioning tool will show you all the partitions on the drive/s you select for installation. Linux filesystems on desktops are usually ext3 or reiserfs. NTFS is for Windows, so don't let the partitioner tinker with those.

pmh2
July 18th, 2009, 08:40 PM
I had the same question as Chris62, so thanks. The installer noticing the different systems recommended placing them all side by side, has anyone tried that?

Chris62
July 19th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Many thanks ibutho. I willnow get on with the uninstallation of Suse 11.1