PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Madwifi re-install problem: "build is missing, please set KERNELPATH"

bdev
July 17th, 2009, 02:38 PM
For some reason my WIFI on my AcerAspireOne stopped working.

So I decided to re-install Madwifi driver from source (which I had installed successfully 5 months ago after I installed Ubuntu on this laptop).

But I have a problem by getting this error, after I try "$make clean" in the package directory:

"build is missing, please set KERNELPATH"

so i re-installed the following packages to make sure i had all the right prelim stuff:
linux-headers-2.6.27-7
build-essential_11.4

But still no luck--I get the same error "build is missing, please set KERNELPATH"

So I am confused about what to try next?

In case it helps: I am running Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex on a Acer Aspire One subcompact notebook.

Thanks Much

csabo2
July 17th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Found this:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/wireless-internet/82489-dwl-g520-madwifi-troubles.html

bdev
July 19th, 2009, 11:24 AM
I looked over the info at this URL in the last reply but could not find anything---sorry perhaps I missed something?

It seems like the solution in the URL link above is some sort of script to build the driver for Linux Fedora, not Linux Ubuntu, what I have.

Again, I am confused as to why after installing linux-headers and build-essential after I do this:

madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r4031-20090529$make

I am getting this:

"...build is missing, please set KERNELPATH. Stop"

And I am confused as to how to "set KERNELPATH".

Thanks again.

vexeddemon
November 15th, 2011, 03:25 PM
I looked over the info at this URL in the last reply but could not find anything---sorry perhaps I missed something?

It seems like the solution in the URL link above is some sort of script to build the driver for Linux Fedora, not Linux Ubuntu, what I have.

Again, I am confused as to why after installing linux-headers and build-essential after I do this:

madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r4031-20090529$make

I am getting this:

"...build is missing, please set KERNELPATH. Stop"

And I am confused as to how to "set KERNELPATH".

Thanks again.

Not sure if you figured it out, but you can set KERNELPATH within Makefile.inc, mine on BackTrack5R1 which is Ubuntu 10.4 was /usr/src/linux-headers-`($uname -r)`

After that was set properly it compiled with no problems. Hope this helps. :D