PDA

View Full Version : Kernel ACPI support

manoa
July 17th, 2009, 11:47 AM
I need some advice, should I compile ACPI support into the kernel given this information: http://manoa.flnet.org/Registry/acpi.txt the ACPI code in the kernel appears to be #2 in size after the networking support, is there any other reason beside this information to keep it in the kernel ?

unutbu
July 17th, 2009, 12:59 PM
If you can boot the machine with the boot option "acpi=off", then I think it would be alright to compile the kernel with no acpi code.

manoa
July 17th, 2009, 02:02 PM
actually i have already used and safely booted a kernel without ACPI support in it, the thing is, if my cpu and other hot system parts don't support acpi well enough to make any difference (from the information I gathered so far from the system) in terms of power management, are there any other reasons to enable and use it ? because the acpi code is ~300 KB in the kernel

Zugzwang
July 17th, 2009, 02:13 PM
I wonder if you can use "Suspend to disk" or "Suspend to RAM" without ACPI support.

kilosan
August 6th, 2009, 10:19 AM
ACPI support is everything if you are a laptop user.

From the battery, to fan, to wifi to FN keys. So you have a crippled laptop without ACPI, one of the major reason why i cant migrate to Ubuntu with my lappie.

If ubuntu freezes while booting, thats an ACPI problem, i hope it gets support soon.