PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] upgrading by alternate DVD won't work!

mhdbnoimi
July 17th, 2009, 05:42 AM
Hi All,

I've downloaded ubuntu 9.04 iso image for upgrading my ubuntu 8.10. But I failed to run upgrading process although I've read upegrading document (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading#Upgrading%20Using%20the%20Alternate%20CD/DVD) cafully!

I tried to run this command:

gksu "sh /media/cdrom0/cdromupgrade"
but nothing happened!

I tried to look for cdromupgrade folder in the DVD but I didn't find any folder contains on upegrade label !!!

I tried to download the iso image once again and I faced the same problem.

I tried to install a fresh copy on the virtual machine (VirtualBox) for checking iso image validity and I didn't find any problem for fresh installation.

I tried to reboot from 9.04 DVD but it didn't show me any message point to upgrading process!

I tried to add 9.04 DVD as a third party software source but nothing happened (I don't want to update my software, I want to upgrade whole system).

How I can upgrade ubuntu 8.10 -> 9.04 by using alternate DVD?

Note:
I've dialup connection so I can't make network upgrading becuase it could take hundreds of hours.

earthpigg
July 17th, 2009, 06:22 AM
hi,

are you sure it is mounted at /cdrom?

pop the cd in and enter 'mount' in a terminal. you may see something about /media/cdrom or similar.

try replacing /cdrom/cdromupgrade with /media/cdrom/cdromupgrade and/or /media/cdrom0/cdromupgrade, whatever the case may be, if that is indeed the case.

is this from a fresh install of 8.10, or did you go 7.10 -> 8.04 -> 8.10 or something to that affect? if i remember correctly, older versions of ubuntu mounted things at different places by default, and some of that residual configuration may have been left behind.

mhdbnoimi
July 17th, 2009, 07:03 AM
are you sure it is mounted at /cdrom?
I fixed run command as shown above. any way the screenshot show the path of the DVD-ROM (see it plz)

is this from a fresh install of 8.10
it's a fresh installation of 8.10

earthpigg
July 17th, 2009, 07:09 AM
you've done the 'run autorun prompt', i assume?

if you run this command, it will search the cd for the file/folder/shell script named 'cdromupgrade':

ls -R /media/cdrom/ | grep cdromupgrade

i've never used the alternate CD, so im guessing here.... and my internet is going slow atm, so can't download myself to play with :\

any results from the command above?

edit - im off to bed, but ill check back on this thread tomorrow in case you haven't gotten sorted out by then. there may be a super-simple fix to your problem that i wouldn't be aware of since i have never tried using an alternate install cd.... you may want to look into seeing if you can find that.

mhdbnoimi
July 17th, 2009, 07:26 AM
any results from the command above?
I got nothing! although I tried the following

ls -R /media/cdrom/ | grep cdromupgrade
nothing!

ls -R /media/cdrom0/ | grep cdromupgrade
nothing too!!!!

earthpigg
July 17th, 2009, 04:21 PM
well, that certainly is annoying.

i'm going to download the alternate cd and take a look myself.

it is possible that the wiki is inaccurate or out of date.

earthpigg
July 17th, 2009, 04:58 PM
hi, after downloading the alternate install cd myself and looking around...

...i don't think you downloaded the correct iso!

see my attached screen shot, and compare to your screenshots.

the correct alternate install .iso will have 'alternate' in the file name.

http://www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/downloadmirrors#alternate

edit: made a typo in the text on my screenshot. the alternate cd clearly does have a cdromupgrade script, and does not have the other two things that are clearly visible in your screen shot. :D

mhdbnoimi
July 19th, 2009, 09:17 AM
...i don't think you downloaded the correct iso!
oooh my god.... I got it, you're correct. I downloaded ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso not ubuntu-9.04-alternate-i386.iso this the problem (I think). It seems that desktop iso doesn't contain on cdromupgrade script, for that I couldn't upgrade my ubuntu.

Thanks earthpigg for help, I'll download alternate iso today and if everything go ok. I'll add [solved] prefix to title of this post, thanks again.