PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Keyboard problems when installing Xubuntu

gnola14
July 17th, 2009, 03:04 AM
Hi guys! I recently bought an old computer, and tried to install Xubuntu on it. Since it has an old motherboard (1997 according to the kernel message) I had to force acpi. No problem with that.

The problem started when trying to put the user name and the password in the final step of the installation; the keyboard wouldn't respond, so I couldn't finish it.

What can it be? Perhaps is it because the keyboard is serial (though with a ps/2 adapter)?

Thanks!

baltadt
July 17th, 2009, 03:34 AM
I am running a serial keyboard and had a similar problem. When typing it would do two things: 1 it would lag on the response and 2 would input characters constantly until i hit back space enough then it would delete everything. turns out if was a hard drive malfunction. Down load a program called kill disk put on a cd and run it on boot up. This will completely revert your hard disk to oem factory setup...complete wipe. Then reinstall Xubuntu. This worked for me and my computer actually runs faster now. Hope this will help.

gnola14
July 17th, 2009, 03:54 AM
Thanks! I'll try that and see what happens.

gnola14
July 17th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Well, problem SOLVED. I erased all data with killdisk (booting from a cd) and after that had no problem with the keyboard. Thanks baltadt!

Just wondering: do I have to put the prefix solved to the thread, or the admins take care of it?