PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Concerned About HD Space

mju4t
July 17th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Hello

I recently installed Ubuntu and I am concerned I did not allocate enough space for my / partition. I gave 13 GB to /, and 46 GB to /home and 3 GB to swap. Can I install programs in my /home directory? What about when I download packages? All this partitioning makes my head spin!

Alex

drs305
July 17th, 2009, 12:36 AM
13GB is normally sufficient, especially with a separate /home, but of course it depends on the user. For now, I would continue to allow apps to install in the default locations until your / partition starts getting near full.

Packages (.debs) are downloaded and stored in /var/cache/apt/archive. Note these are the program packages, not the installed application files. You can periodically remove them as they accumulate with the command: "sudo apt-get clean". Once an app is installed you don't need the package any longer - you can download them again if needed from the repositories.

mju4t
July 17th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Thanks for the quick response! What about installing programs that aren't in a repository? I want to install MATLAB, and I have all the files necessary...can I install it to /home? Do I just make a directory called programs to install all my "non repository" programs?