PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installing swiftweasel

redshift88
July 16th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Hello,

I'm new to ubuntu, but took a class a few years back on command line and C code, so I thought I'd give ubuntu a shot.

I searched and found some information, but not enough to help me.

I'm trying to install swiftweasel RC3 so I can watch streaming video from abc.com and fox.com. I tried using firefox with WINE, but I only hear the audio. Someone commented on how swiftweasel works in this situation, so I downloaded it for my intel laptop and extracted the folder, but now I'm not sure how to install it from there. I'm sure the answer is very easy, but please bear with me. The file i extracted from was a tar.gz format.

Thank you

Partyboi2
July 17th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Hi, once you have extracted it if you are not already change into the newly extracted source directory eg If you extracted it to your home directory

cd swiftweasel then run it with

./swiftweaselIf you want you can also create a launcher for it from the Desktop by right clicking and choosing "create launcher" and then fill out the details

Name: Swiftweasel
Command: (browse to the extracted source directory and select the 'swiftweasel' file)
Comment: Leave bank or add something.

You can also change the icon for it b clicking on the pic to the left.

redshift88
July 19th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Thank you. That worked and was simple.

I'm running the 32bit version of ubuntu on a 64bit laptop. There were two choices for swiftweasel: one with an intel x86 in the name and another with intel x86 64. I'm using the x86 since I'm using the x86 version of ubuntu. Is this the right thing to do? I promise this is my last question on this subject.

I finally have my laptop set up the way I want it. :)

SuperSonic4
July 19th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Yes that is the correct one to have. Chances are it would throw up an error if you tried the x86_64 anyway