PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hangs on Boot

JimmieC
July 16th, 2009, 10:31 PM
I intalled Ubuntu 9.04 64bit onto a new hd and everything worked perfectly. I then installed Windows 7 RC1 64bit to a new NFTS partition and it installed and worked perfectly. I was following a guide from this forum on how to install Windows 7 after installing Ubuntu for a dual-boot system.

Following the guide I booted from a Ubuntu livecd and re-installed grub. I then re-booted planning to edit my menu.lst from a terminal. On re-boot the computer hangs and the display is super distorted. I can boot from a livecd without any problems, but I cannot boot from my hd. When booting from the HD I get a distorted screen and then the computer hangs.

This is a laptop I just purchased, an ASUS F3ka-x1 with the ATI Mobility 2600 video adapter. I know there have been driver issues in the past, maybe this is the problem.

I hope I don't have to reinstall since both were working perfectly.

Any advice or suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim

JimmieC
July 17th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Also, in addition to a garbled display, I lose my keyboard. I booted from a livecd and attempted to fix xorg.conf but it did not fix the problem.

Any suggestions?

Jim

JimmieC
July 17th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Also, in addition to a garbled display, I lose my keyboard. I booted from a livecd and attempted to fix xorg.conf but it did not fix the problem.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this problem?

sorry for the double post.

Jim