PDA

View Full Version : iTunes 8.2.1. doesn't add up for Palm Pre

Antman
July 16th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Goodness.... heaven forbid we use any other media player with iTunes.:(

Apple Inc. released an update to its iTunes online store today that prevents the software from working on Palm Inc.’s new Pre smart phone.

ITunes 8.2.1 is a free update that provides “important” bug fixes to the software, which runs music, video and applications on the iPhone and iPod media players, Apple said in a posting on its Web site that was pickedup by Bloomberg News.

The update disables devices “falsely pretending to be iPods, including the Palm Pre,” said Natalie Kerris, a spokeswoman for Apple. “As we said before, newer versions of iTunes software may no longer provide syncing functionality with unsupported digital media players.”

RiceMonster
July 16th, 2009, 08:09 PM
[citation needed]

Skripka
July 16th, 2009, 08:12 PM
[citation needed]

Looks like it came from Bloomberg

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aa9qYxk4Kyf8

Pasdar
July 16th, 2009, 08:12 PM
"free update", so there are actually updates that you have to pay for?

The Toxic Mite
July 16th, 2009, 08:56 PM
How the fsck is the Palm Pre an "iPhone clone"?!

:|

kernelhaxor
July 16th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Apple long ago said they would do this .. and now they did it .. Even Palm said during the launch of Pre that this might not work for long ..
Also I would expect this from a company like Apple .. Its a business minded decision .. they don't want their product(iTunes) adding value to a competitor of one of their other products(iphone)

Antman
July 16th, 2009, 09:10 PM
[citation needed]

http://sprintconnection.kansascity.com/?q=node/1116

kk0sse54
July 16th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Apple long ago said they would do this .. and now they did it .. Even Palm said during the launch of Pre that this might not work for long ..
Also I would expect this from a company like Apple .. Its a business minded decision .. they don't want their product(iTunes) adding value to a competitor of one of their other products(iphone)

God forbid someone actual think about their customers rather than just monetary profit.

MikeTheC
July 16th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Well, I haven't done the 8.2.1 update yet, and will probably hold off for a bit. However, the Pre allows you direct access to it's on-board media storage, so it's really not *that* big of a problem.

Besides, I can have it directly sync with my Gmail data, so what's the problem?

Antman
July 17th, 2009, 12:19 AM
Well, I haven't done the 8.2.1 update yet, and will probably hold off for a bit. However, the Pre allows you direct access to it's on-board media storage, so it's really not *that* big of a problem.

Besides, I can have it directly sync with my Gmail data, so what's the problem?

Apple just erks me with their closed systems..... :twisted:
I guess that is why I won't buy an iPhone.

I would rather have a phone that:

Lets me replace the battery when i need to without sending it back to the vendor
Allow me to transfer mp3's or any other file I want to it via bluetooth, or usb cable
and some other stuff i don't feel like taking the time to type ;)

Yownanymous
July 17th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Ugh. Another evil little move from the psychotic lunatic with more than his fair share of health problems.

hanzomon4
July 17th, 2009, 05:17 AM
Apple is just sad.. great products, shity business practices

tubezninja
July 17th, 2009, 05:32 AM
Ugh. Another evil little move from the psychotic lunatic with more than his fair share of health problems.

That psychotic lunatic is doing pretty good for himself and the company he runs. Say what you want; Apple is successful, even in a down economy. Palm? Not so much lately, nor were they when the economy was better. Fancy that.

Apple is just sad.. great products, ***** business practices

Yeah cuz, you know, making money is such a bad business practice...

MikeTheC
July 17th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Yes, but what do you expect from a bunch of kids on a message board, scaredpoet?