PDA

View Full Version : A wobble nightmare..

hellmet
July 16th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Since about 3 days, both the screens( CRT display) on our computers have been wobbling. The strange part is that the pattern in which both wobble is exactly the same. These CRTs are placed in separate rooms. Most noticeable in the edges (not just corners) of the screen. Its not drivers since this happens even in the BIOS setup. Nothing new added to our home to cause interference.

I'm wondering if external factors could be so strong enough as to cause this. We have a large transformer outside our house, though, but I wonder if that is the reason since its been lying there since forever, and I'm not even sure if that would be a problem anyway. Maybe a new mobile phone tower, or something? I hope I'm not frying my brains away to this new microwave or whatever.

Your inputs are highly appreciated.

The Toxic Mite
July 16th, 2009, 07:36 PM
It just happens, really.

dragos240
July 16th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Yep, completely normal. I've had this happen, caused by external vibrations.

Firestem4
July 16th, 2009, 08:02 PM
If there is too much EMI (Electromagnetic interference) It can cause the exact same thing (generally less indentifiable too) from vibrations.

Are your monitors hooked up to the same source by any chance?

Swagman
July 16th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Go bury a copper coil in your garden

Apparently it does work !!

JillSwift
July 16th, 2009, 08:08 PM
I saw something like this one, with CRTs at a business. It turned out to be EMF on the power line from a neighboring business. A few ferrite beads later, and the screens were stable again.

drawkcab
July 17th, 2009, 12:28 AM
http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/2186476/ringu_Full.jpg

http://www.firstshowing.net/img/poltergeist-tv-poster-hdrimg.jpg

earthpigg
July 17th, 2009, 12:42 AM
sounds like an evil spirit is inside your displays, to me.

i suggest contacting the Roman Catholic Church.

solitaire
July 17th, 2009, 12:57 AM
Probably some bad wiring or some unshielded cable in your house.

Also just check you're house wasn't built on top of an old Indian burial ground...

earthpigg
July 17th, 2009, 01:20 AM
ps -A | grep ghost

Firestem4
July 17th, 2009, 01:23 AM
ps -A | grep ghost

:lolflag:

Kopachris
July 17th, 2009, 03:50 AM
Your monitors are probably just old and worn out. CRT monitors are very sensitive devices that somehow manage to work perfectly for a long time. I'd just replace them.

hellmet
July 17th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Thanks for all the support guys :D..
Same source, in the sense? Same outlet? or from the same power line?

Today morning, when I switched on one of the PCs, I saw the monitor go black in diagonal portions for about 2-3 seconds after which the wobble just vanished.. Perfectly stable picture. I ran to the other computer and when it switched that on, there was no wobble either.. Probably the ghost decided to leave my monitors alone.. hehe Strange things do happen. I wonder if anyone would be able to explain the screen going black... :D

And, no way would I ever replace anything that works properly.. :P

3rdalbum
July 17th, 2009, 12:57 PM
It's the new feature of Compiz. Who needs wobbly windows when your whole SCREEN can be wobbly? :-P

hellmet
July 20th, 2009, 06:04 AM
^ Lol ..

MaxIBoy
July 20th, 2009, 06:32 AM
My guess: magnetic, electric, or electromagnetic fields coming from some source.

Would there be any electric motor or wiring in the vicinity that wasn't there before?