PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu vs Mandriva

Phantom7777
July 16th, 2009, 06:42 PM
:confused:
Why aren’t they using Mandriva’s partitioning option? Mandriva's partitioning is easier to use and to understand…. Where Ubuntu’s partitioning s difficult to understand and also to use!!!! And Mandriva’s boot loader is also easy to use and to understand. Ubuntu’s boot loader is different (Understand and know how to manage), but will be great to use Mandriva’s boot loader. Ubuntu OS is easier to manage, and Mandriva OS is difficult to manage.

Please leave comments.:KS

Kind Regards

Phantom7777

Elfy
July 16th, 2009, 06:52 PM
moved to cafe as it is not a support request

Pasdar
July 16th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Screenshot? It looks more complicated to me from screenshots of mandriva 2007... for me it wouldn't matter but such an interface would confuse users even further. But I agree they should make the partitioning interface easier to understand somehow.

Jimleko211
July 16th, 2009, 07:06 PM
But I agree they should make the partitioning interface easier to understand somehow.

Or even just put it back to the way they had it in 7.04. When I used 7.04 to partition and install, it was EASY. When I first installed 9.04 two years later, I was utterly confused at the "new, easy to use" partition editor, that I just said "screw it" and overwrote Windows which I originally meant to keep.

SunnyRabbiera
July 16th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Me I never had an issue with the Ubuntu installer, GRUB could be a little better though.

orion1315
July 16th, 2009, 07:09 PM
no idea wut ur talkin about lol cuz i used the partitioner with no problems
was easy to keep windows and give ubuntu 100 gigs of my harddrive

NightwishFan
July 16th, 2009, 07:11 PM
I wish Ubuntu had a faster way to edit boot commands, similar to OpenSUSE grub theme. Then again, anyone who needs to edit boot commands probably already knows how to do it in Ubuntu's grub...

True the partitioner could use some work. Perhaps like an 'advanced mode' that replaces the manual mode. Then you can set up RAID, Encryption, etc.. You need alternate CD for advanced setup like that now (I believe).

I would like to ask does anyone know if Ubuntu uses LZMA compression in it's live CD. We could squeeze a bit more in if we did perhaps.

Simian Man
July 16th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Yeah I always wondered why Ubuntu gained so much traction with beginners. Mandriva seems easier to use in almost all ways. BTW the partitioner is called "DiskDrake".

Pasdar
July 16th, 2009, 07:20 PM
This would confuse the %^& out of any normal user:

http://linux.techteam.gr/docs/mandrake/10/starter/images/diskdrake-main.png

BigSilly
July 16th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Yeah I always wondered why Ubuntu gained so much traction with beginners. Mandriva seems easier to use in almost all ways. BTW the partitioner is called "DiskDrake".

Totally agree. Mandriva is a fantastic home desktop distro ideal for first time users.

It's the little things. The Mandriva Control Center is so fully featured and easy to use. The other day I had a kernel update on Mandy that for some reason removed the silent splash, giving me a text only boot. OK, there's an easy to fix this using the terminal if you know what to do, but look, there in the MCC there's a straightforward option to configure all the boot settings how you like using it's easy GUI. Even a Linux newcomer couldn't have gone wrong with it.

I love Ubuntu dearly, but there's a lot it could learn from Mandriva.

gn2
July 16th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Alt+F2 gnome-control-center ?

gimmejimmy
July 16th, 2009, 09:02 PM
I like Mandriva better (mandriva on this, the main computer and Ubuntu on the other computer) but Synaptic's search function seems faster than rpmdrake's.

earthpigg
July 16th, 2009, 09:09 PM
has anyone used both ubuntu and mandravia extensively that doesn't feel mandravia is superior for beginners?

azangru
July 16th, 2009, 09:57 PM
has anyone used both ubuntu and mandravia extensively that doesn't feel mandravia is superior for beginners?

Well, I haven't used Mandriva extensively, so I probably don't count, but when I decided to migrate to Linux (and this was a little over a year ago), I tried both Mandriva made and Ubuntu. The first impression that Mandriva made was that it felt somehow more polished (I guess, that was because of my first contact with KDE), but then I couldn't find how to set up a VPN to connect to my Internet provider in Mandriva, while the instruction for Ubuntu was readily available. Also, I thought Ubuntu Forums are way superior to any other support forums out there. So, I entered the Linux world with Ubuntu. :)

MasterNetra
July 16th, 2009, 10:06 PM
I tried the free version of Mandriva...to this date it still doesn't have some critical drivers making my labtop beep loudly. (Probably doesn't have the video driver it needs for my system) So I never have been able to test it.