PDA

View Full Version : Can Ubuntu benefit from the Palm Pre

metalf8801
July 16th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Can Ubuntu and other Linux distribution benefit from the Palm Pre using WebOS which is a proprietary OS build on top of the open source Linux Kernel? Please explain your answer.

Thanks
Dan

GStubbs43
July 17th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Probably not, Android hasn't helped much, has it? And Android is an open source os. Plus, Mac OS is a closed source os based on Linux, but hasn't really hepled people convert to it.

plb
July 17th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Nope.

lykwydchykyn
July 17th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Probably not, Android hasn't helped much, has it? And Android is an open source os. Plus, Mac OS is a closed source os based on Linux, but hasn't really hepled people convert to it.

Mac OS is not based on Linux.

Any use of the Linux kernel by major tech companies makes those companies reliant on the quality of the kernel. Which means, if they're smart, they will be contributing back to the kernel. Will that benefit Ubuntu? Yes, undoubtedly. Will it affect Ubuntu in ways you will easily recognize and be able to enjoy? Probably not.

GStubbs43
July 17th, 2009, 09:17 PM

I meant to say Unix, oops.

tgalati4
July 17th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Only if Palm advertises that the Pre is compatible with Linux (or gnu/linux). The other 99% of the people won't care.

Will the battery last more than a day? OS doesn't matter if you can't make a call at 4 pm.

plb
July 17th, 2009, 10:06 PM
I meant to say Unix, oops.

BSD actually

keiichidono
July 18th, 2009, 02:39 AM
BSD actually

Mach actually. :P

metalf8801
July 19th, 2009, 12:55 AM

Any use of the Linux kernel by major tech companies makes those companies reliant on the quality of the kernel. Which means, if they're smart, they will be contributing back to the kernel. Will that benefit Ubuntu? Yes, undoubtedly. Will it affect Ubuntu in ways you will easily recognize and be able to enjoy? Probably not.

That's what I was hoping thank you