PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Having trouble with installation...

petermoran
July 16th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Hi,

I am asking this on behalf of someone else who is having a big problem reinstalling Ubuntu 9.04.

They have completely deleted their Windows OS, so cannot start in safemode there to start the installation of Ubuntu from the CD, and the CD itself does not work properly when they attempt to boot from it to begin the installation.

Is there anyway of getting it to work?

petermoran
July 16th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Anyone, please??

saidinesh5
July 16th, 2009, 03:39 PM
i didnt exactly understand why he wants to boot into windows safemode to install ubuntu....
and you saying that he cannot boot using the CD..
this may be because :
1) the CD might be defective. So try checking it first on another PC.
2) the CD may not be the default boot device(and the windows drive still is active.) so try changing the "boot device order" in the BIOS(which you get after pressing F10 or Del or some other key immediately after you switch the PC on) and CD the first drive to be the CD drive.

petermoran
July 16th, 2009, 03:49 PM
i didnt exactly understand why he wants to boot into windows safemode to install ubuntu....
and you saying that he cannot boot using the CD..
this may be because :
1) the CD might be defective. So try checking it first on another PC.
2) the CD may not be the default boot device(and the windows drive still is active.) so try changing the "boot device order" in the BIOS(which you get after pressing F10 or Del or some other key immediately after you switch the PC on) and CD the first drive to be the CD drive.

Ah ok, thanks.

I'll tell him about the boot order thing, it must be that.

The Windows thing was because that's how I installed. I booted in Windows safemode and installed Ubuntu from a CD from there. He deleted Windows so wouldn't be able to do the same.

Thanks for the help. The BIOS thing should work.

oldos2er
July 16th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Might want to have a look here: http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/burn