PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Just broke X [Stupidity alert]

dangerjunkie2002
July 16th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Hi,

I just did something I would have advised anyone else not to do (ran a script to find out what it did whilst I was root.) :oops: Yes, I know I'm a complete idiot but I was in a hurry and it seemed like a good idea at the time.

I was playing with xrdp and ran /etc/xrdp/startwm.sh (which just calls /etc/X11/Xsession) as root. Now when I restart the machine the GUI fails to start with the error:

(EE) intel(0): no valid modes
(EE) Screens found but none have a usable configuration

I've tried the options of taking the default config or reconfiguring and neither help. I even tried removing xorg.conf altogether. If I accept a startup in "low graphics mode" it says that there appears to already be an X session on display :0 and asks if I want to choose a new number. Saying "no" dumps me back at the same question. Saying "yes" gets me a usable desktop on session 1.

I tried a dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg today and that didn't produce any improvement either.

This is probably something really simple but I can't work it out.What do I need to do to restore sanity please?

Thanks,
Paul.

Student Driver
July 17th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Can you post your xorg.conf file? I used to work with this file a lot, but having been out of Linux for a while and looking at it now, I see that there must be another area to hold metadata. Mine reads as follows:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

iponeverything
July 17th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Can you post your xorg.conf file? I used to work with this file a lot, but having been out of Linux for a while and looking at it now, I see that there must be another area to hold metadata. Mine reads as follows:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

I too remember having to create my own xconfig, the lastest xorg is much smarter.. There is no meta-data file, it figures it out on the fly.