PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7, it won't make me change

ade234uk
July 16th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Can't wait to see the end of this Windows 7 hype. I have seen videos and seen threads on here, on how wonderful it is meant to be.

It is still not interesting me in the slightest, and Ubuntu is still my OS of choice. I have had good times running Ubuntu over the last six months, and Windows just feels like hassle a load of hassle to me. My girlfriend will probably end up using Windows 7, not before I partition her machine and stick Ubuntu on it first.

hanzomon4
July 16th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Ok

lisati
July 16th, 2009, 10:47 AM
I had the same sort of thing happen with Vista: lots of hype (for and against) but nothing to convince me either to get it or avoid it. Ended up having Vista in a dual-boot arrangement with Ubuntu on my current laptop - not because I necessarily wanted it but it suits me in order to run my choice of video editing software.

SirBismuth
July 16th, 2009, 11:07 AM
I generally let people live in their little dream worlds, have found it mostly pointless to argue with someone who is adamant Windows Vista/7 etc. are better. Maybe one is better than the other, but that all changes if you bring Ubuntu, or any other distro really, into the mix.

I haven't yet had the heart to tell our local Vista fanboy at work that the firewall, mail server, intranet, and proxies are all running Linux of some sort.

I just ignore the hype, better for all concerned.

B

Swarms
July 16th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I generally let people live in their little dream worlds, have found it mostly pointless to argue with someone who is adamant Windows Vista/7 etc. are better. Maybe one is better than the other, but that all changes if you bring Ubuntu, or any other distro really, into the mix.

I haven't yet had the heart to tell our local Vista fanboy at work that the firewall, mail server, intranet, and proxies are all running Linux of some sort.

I just ignore the hype, better for all concerned.

B

So if you like Windows7, you are a zealot?

hanzomon4
July 16th, 2009, 01:31 PM
I must be a zealot.. cause it looks pretty neat. I only use OS X and Ubuntu but I can still admire the good work of MS. Same with Palm and Google, I love my iphone but the pre and hero are quite impressive.

monsterstack
July 16th, 2009, 01:34 PM
It's being released on the 22nd of October. And there will be a few threads scattered about between here and then. Expect someone to start a "How many threads will be started about Windows 7 this week?" poll. Ubuntu Forums is going to have its fair share of Windows 7 hype for a while yet. But the joy of these forums is that you don't have to click on the threads if they don't interest you.

monsterstack
July 16th, 2009, 01:37 PM

I must be a zealot.. cause it looks pretty neat. I only use OS X and Ubuntu but I can still admire the good work of MS. Same with Palm and Google, I love my iphone but the pre and hero are quite impressive.

Umm, guys, nothing in SirBismuth's post mentioned anything about all fans of Windows being zealots. He said there was a Windows fanboy where he works.

RiceMonster
July 16th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Can't wait to see the end of this Windows 7 hype. I have seen videos and seen threads on here, on how wonderful it is meant to be.

It is still not interesting me in the slightest, and Ubuntu is still my OS of choice. I have had good times running Ubuntu over the last six months, and Windows just feels like hassle a load of hassle to me. My girlfriend will probably end up using Windows 7, not before I partition her machine and stick Ubuntu on it first.

Good for you, have a sucker.

Swarms
July 16th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Umm, guys, nothing in SirBismuth's post mentioned anything about all fans of Windows being zealots. He said there was a Windows fanboy where he works.

It was just an example, he said he "let people live in their dream worlds" etc.

Pogeymanz
July 16th, 2009, 01:58 PM
I feel you. I can't wait to see everyone disappointed with Win7 after all the hype. Understand, I'm not Windows-bashing. I just hate when anything gets over-hyped like that.

I'll be the first to admit that it will be the best OS from Microsoft, probably ever. But it isn't THAT much better than Vista. And it will have bugs until the first service pack too, just like every other modern Windows release.

I can't wait until everyone realizes it's just another Windows release.

adzik
July 16th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Where I do some consulting, they have a nice arrangement with Microsoft to roll out Win7 on all workstations. Reason for such an agreement was because MS begged them to be a beta site and gave it away for free. Yes...free.
Windows 7 is great if you are a single/small business level user.
It is proving to be a compatibility disaster in the tests over the last month in a large enterprise environment though. Can't get any critical applications moving at all.
If you understand what shims and virtual registries are and do, then you'll want to stray from Win7 at this time as it grinds performance to a halt at a certain point. This is only the tip of the iceberg since the workstations involved are quite powerful, new hardware.
The amount of layering involved just to get a simple Windows XP or 2000 app going is sometimes ridiculous.
With the way things are panning out, Wine does a way better job at backwards compatibility right now.
Big corporations cannot just drop in a win7 system into their environment and do what MS proposes because there are far too many custom and win2000/xp based apps that are designed for their specific needs.

Anyway, beyond the bling (or bing...whatever), it doesn't really seem like uptake of Windows 7 will be any different than Vista on the corporate front, since even for the price of free, this company is very likely going to stick with XP for the foreseeable future.
The good news is that even here, there is in fact a slow, but consistent transition of critical workstations to Red Hat. More every few months. :)

SirBismuth
July 16th, 2009, 02:33 PM

LOL, never thought of it that way! :P

Liking Windows 7/Vista/etc. is fan, being a fanboy about it is not. Like I said, I have given up trying to reason with our local Vista fanboy, suprised he doesn't already have 7. Then I can call him our resident Windows 7 fanboy! :)

I like Ubuntu, and all Linux for that matter, and hope I don't come across as a fanboy, but I will generally punt Linux above Windows any day. I guess I have been fortunate enough get everything working that I need in Ubuntu, and be more secure at the same time.

This guy is definitely in lala land when it comes to Windows and Linux, to him Vista is the be all and end all when it comes to OSes. Maybe I generalized when I said "I generally let people live in their little dream worlds", because in most cases discussing Linux with people who are virtually married to all things Windows is pointless, so like I said, I don't bother anymore.

B

Ms_Angel_D
July 16th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Personaly, Win 7 Won't make me change either. I tried it out and tbh nothing about the OS makes me wanna spend another $300.00 dollars, especially in this economic climate.

I do plan on buying a new rig in February, but it will be of the NO OS kind so that I can put Ubuntu on it.

Swarms
July 16th, 2009, 03:10 PM
LOL, never thought of it that way! :P

Liking Windows 7/Vista/etc. is fan, being a fanboy about it is not. Like I said, I have given up trying to reason with our local Vista fanboy, suprised he doesn't already have 7. Then I can call him our resident Windows 7 fanboy! :)

I like Ubuntu, and all Linux for that matter, and hope I don't come across as a fanboy, but I will generally punt Linux above Windows any day. I guess I have been fortunate enough get everything working that I need in Ubuntu, and be more secure at the same time.

This guy is definitely in lala land when it comes to Windows and Linux, to him Vista is the be all and end all when it comes to OSes. Maybe I generalized when I said "I generally let people live in their little dream worlds", because in most cases discussing Linux with people who are virtually married to all things Windows is pointless, so like I said, I don't bother anymore.

B

But those morons (excuse my french) are on both sides.

But maybe people some people just like Windows7 because it have improved on areas Ubuntu lack.
For example I find the navigation of Gnome very dated. And I followed (and named) the Umbra (https://launchpad.net/umbragui) project. Which is a redesign of the lower taskbar. Too bad, the project went down the drain.

Now I discover later, that Windows7 will bring something very similar and I really enjoy using it.

Sealbhach
July 16th, 2009, 03:40 PM
But those morons (excuse my french) are on both sides.

But maybe people some people just like Windows7 because it have improved on areas Ubuntu lack.
For example I find the navigation of Gnome very dated. And I followed (and named) the Umbra (https://launchpad.net/umbragui) project. Which is a redesign of the lower taskbar. Too bad, the project went down the drain.

Now I discover later, that Windows7 will bring something very similar and I really enjoy using it.

I much prefer to use menus, or just drag an icon onto the panel. I think these taskbars are a bit overkill and don't add much value.

Kazade
July 16th, 2009, 04:03 PM
I have to say, I was all ready to point the disappointed users towards Ubuntu when Windows 7 was released. That was until I tried the RC, and I actually think it's pretty good.

OK, I wouldn't personally spend money on it when I can use Ubuntu for free. But I really think that MS has done a good job from what I've seen so far and if someone gets a new laptop/desktop with it installed I think they are gonna be pretty happy with it unlike with Vista.

This is interesting, because it's already been difficult to get people to try Ubuntu even when they have been disappointed with Vista. If Windows 7 is good why would they consider anything else at all?

Although, I think that 2010 is going to be a very exciting year when it comes to the battle for the desktop, what with Moblin, ChromeOS, Gnome 3 and the X stack finally getting into shape. I also think 10.10 is the Ubuntu release that will get everyone's attention (everything just seems to be building to that point, new theme, LTS etc.). Even ReactOS by that point will likely be in Alpha or Beta. Interesting times.

zekopeko
July 16th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Where I do some consulting, they have a nice arrangement with Microsoft to roll out Win7 on all workstations. Reason for such an agreement was because MS begged them to be a beta site and gave it away for free. Yes...free.
Windows 7 is great if you are a single/small business level user.
It is proving to be a compatibility disaster in the tests over the last month in a large enterprise environment though. Can't get any critical applications moving at all.
If you understand what shims and virtual registries are and do, then you'll want to stray from Win7 at this time as it grinds performance to a halt at a certain point. This is only the tip of the iceberg since the workstations involved are quite powerful, new hardware.
The amount of layering involved just to get a simple Windows XP or 2000 app going is sometimes ridiculous.
With the way things are panning out, Wine does a way better job at backwards compatibility right now.
Big corporations cannot just drop in a win7 system into their environment and do what MS proposes because there are far too many custom and win2000/xp based apps that are designed for their specific needs.

Anyway, beyond the bling (or bing...whatever), it doesn't really seem like uptake of Windows 7 will be any different than Vista on the corporate front, since even for the price of free, this company is very likely going to stick with XP for the foreseeable future.
The good news is that even here, there is in fact a slow, but consistent transition of critical workstations to Red Hat. More every few months. :)

this mostly looks like companies lack of roadmap and cheapskating.
"you have a winxp/2000 application? well did it occur to you that at some point windows xp/2000 is not going to be supported?"

monsterstack
July 16th, 2009, 04:52 PM
this mostly looks like companies lack of roadmap and cheapskating.
"you have a winxp/2000 application? well did it occur to you that at some point windows xp/2000 is not going to be supported?"

The business world is crammed with legacy code. Businesses often prefer running the older stuff because they know it works. "If it ain't broke" comes to mind. There are plenty of systems running today churning out COBOL programmes written decades ago, for instance. Relying on code that depends on particular Windows operating systems is unfortunate, though. Just look how many businesses run their intranet applications through Internet Explorer 6. People don't like the upgrade treadmill because it costs them money. Short-sighted? Sure. But it makes a difference. Businesses huffed and puffed when they were given Vista, and as a result XP is lurching onwards after almost a decade. Who knows how much longer these legacy systems will remain in use? So long as people are tight-fisted with their cash, I suspect it'll be a very long time.

ArtF10
July 16th, 2009, 05:42 PM
...It is still not interesting me in the slightest, and Ubuntu is still my OS of choice...

Agreed 100%!

Eisenwinter
July 16th, 2009, 05:51 PM
ok
+1.

Bart_D
July 16th, 2009, 06:24 PM
I won't be changing either...Windows7 is not for me.

RSF5
July 16th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Well I hate to be a kill joy, but I've been running the Windows 7 RC for a while now(on my main desktop only) and I have to say, it has been very sound. I haven't had any major problems with.

That being said, I'm switching back to all Open-Source systems on all my computers next week(time for 9.04 on the desktop). http://smiliesftw.com/x/iocrunks2.gif

MasterNetra
July 16th, 2009, 10:00 PM
I'm considering trying Win7, Of course I will have clear either Ubuntu or Vista, as I don't have the space for a third. But its quite clear which is goin...(Hint: Its not Ubuntu). Of course if Adobe ever decides to make a linux installer for there Adobe Master Collection you can bet That this labtop nor any other I own will ever see a MS OS ever again. Meanwhile I can dream...