PDA

View Full Version : sidux-2009-02 Αιθήρ released.

Antman
July 16th, 2009, 04:07 AM
I am loving it so far....

DeadSuperHero
July 16th, 2009, 04:43 AM
How's it compare to (K)ubuntu?

stwschool
July 16th, 2009, 01:50 PM
I'm also interested to see how this stacks up. Keep us posted on how it goes.

snowpine
July 16th, 2009, 02:09 PM
How's it compare to (K)ubuntu?

Using sidux is a great preview of where Kubuntu will be in six months. IMHO, sidux is superior to Kubuntu in almost every way, except:

1. proprietary/nonfree hardware needs are slightly easier in Kubuntu
2. user community--ubuntu forums are warm and fuzzy, sidux forums not so much

Antman
July 16th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Using sidux is a great preview of where Kubuntu will be in six months.

True, since sidux is Debian Sid with some tweaks.

A little more than slightly IMO. For example: When I installed sidux on my spare laptop, it didn't have the firmware for my intel 3945 wireless card (since it's not dfsg-free software).
So I had to manually edit my source list and connect the laptop to my cat5 cable and run a quick:
apt-get install firmware-iwlwifi

Also, multimedia codecs are not included by default (aren't in (U)Kubuntu either) so I had to add the multimedia repos and install what I wanted via apt-get.

Agreed... the Ubuntu forums are more novice friendly.

sidux is meant for a different consumer base than Kubuntu, so you shouldn't really compare point for point.

Keep in mind that sidux is a rolling release distro that is synced with Debian Sid, so once you install it, you just apt-get dist-upgrade from then on.
It's pretty darn nice, and so far their KDE integration is pretty darn good. I'll play with it some more to really put it through its paces.

xebian
July 16th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Using sidux is a great preview of where Kubuntu will be in six months. IMHO, sidux is superior to Kubuntu in almost every way, except:

Kubuntu is now at 4.3 while Sidux is still 4.2.x

Debian experimental just getting bits of 4.3 now.

Antman
July 16th, 2009, 09:03 PM

True. The Kubuntu KDE packagers are pretty fast. :lolflag:

Update: Users of our stable 9.04 release can now install it from the Kubuntu Backports PPA.
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/backports/ubuntu jaunty main

Skripka
July 16th, 2009, 09:05 PM

Kubuntu Jaunty still has 4.2.96 in their official backports...and there isn't anything presently in the Karmic backports...come again?

koleoptero
July 16th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Wow! It's named in Greek. I wonder what that denotes...

Antman
July 17th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Wow! It's named in Greek. I wonder what that denotes...

sidux releases are based on Greek mythological beings.
The last 10 releases were/are named after Primordial deities.

Αιθήρ (Aithēr)
English= Aether

God of the upper air.

xebian
July 17th, 2009, 04:57 AM
Kubuntu Jaunty still has 4.2.96 in their official backports...and there isn't anything presently in the Karmic backports...come again?

4.2.96 is the 4.3 RC2

How can you backport into the current release (not even yet)?

I even have a Debian/sid with Kubuntu's 4.3 backports working nicely. With Debian kernel not very far behind ( now at 30 ) I don't see any edge to sidux anymore.

koleoptero
July 19th, 2009, 12:45 PM
sidux releases are based on Greek mythological beings.
The last 10 releases were/are named after Primordial deities.

Αιθήρ (Aithēr)
English= Aether

God of the upper air.

Yeah I know. I'm Greek (unfortunately).

Arup
July 19th, 2009, 06:14 PM
I ran it for a week, its fast, stable and everything is snappy and yet I am back to Ubuntu.

Antman
July 19th, 2009, 09:40 PM
I ran it for a week, its fast, stable and everything is snappy and yet I am back to Ubuntu.

I really like the sidux XFCE release; nice and fast. But yes, I just keep it on my 1 gig USB stick now, and still mainly use Fedora and Ubuntu Ultimate on my machines.

I'm getting lazy as time goes on and like to have my OS ready to go when I install it.

Antman
July 24th, 2009, 05:25 AM
I really like the sidux XFCE release; nice and fast. But yes, I just keep it on my 1 gig USB stick now, and still mainly use Fedora and Ubuntu Ultimate on my machines.

I'm getting lazy as time goes on and like to have my OS ready to go when I install it.

Well, lazy or not. I still can't stay away from the sidux KDE and XFCE isos. I just replaced Ubuntu Ultimate with it on my main desktop and installed sidux XFCE on my IBM x41 sub-notebook. I guess I have the rolling release life in my blood. :popcorn:

HappinessNow
July 24th, 2009, 10:31 AM
I am loving it so far....

The new Sidux looks very nice. Is that some kind of beetle as a mascot?

papangul
July 24th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Assuming you have tried sidux on the rig mentioned in your sig, do you even need to mention that it is fast and snappy?