PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] How to change the default boot?

healee
July 16th, 2009, 01:52 AM
On a dual-boot or multi-boot situation, where and how we can change the default boot up? At present it boots up ubuntu by default? I want to change to Windows by default if the boot-up process is unattended. Can we also change the waiting time as well?

starcraft.man
July 16th, 2009, 02:10 AM
Open a terminal. And input this command:

sudo cp /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.lst.backup1

then

gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

This will open your GRUB menu list file in the text editor.

Scroll down until your past all the commented out instructions.

You should see sections like this:

title Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-14-generic
uuid 27c75af4-a835-4e7a-b9b8-c37679d7c2f4
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-14-generic root=UUID=27c75af4-a835-4e7a-b9b8-c37679d7c2f4 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-14-generic
quiet

These basically are listed in the order they appear in your list. Then just copy the XP one to the top of the list and rearrange as desired. If I recall, it's listed ins a slightly separate section titled windows, just copy the whole entry to the top of the list.

As for the waiting time, look back up to top of the list (or use the find function) and look for timeout option somewhere near the top. Set the number to desired.

The backup if you have any booting trouble, you can just load up a live CD and copy back the old file by reversing the command, i.e.:

sudo cp /boot/grub/menu.lst.backup1 /boot/grub/menu.lst

running_rabbit07
July 16th, 2009, 02:35 AM
Or you can install Startup Manager Via Synaptic Package Manager. Then make your selection as in the screenshots below. Then you will be in control.

running_rabbit07
July 16th, 2009, 02:41 AM
Let's try again...

aysiu
July 16th, 2009, 02:57 AM
Let's try again...
Or http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/startupmanager

starcraft.man
July 16th, 2009, 03:08 AM
Or you can install Startup Manager Via Synaptic Package Manager. Then make your selection as in the screenshots below. Then you will be in control.

Bah, if ya wanna be cool, ya use a text editor :p.

running_rabbit07
July 16th, 2009, 04:47 AM
Bah, if ya wanna be cool, ya use a text editor :p.

Too much like work to me. Seems like every text command I find doesn't work so I gave up on them for a while. I texted my previous Debian install so bad that when I restarted, it would only boot to text made and then I was stuck with writing over with Ubuntu. Then I learned that Ubuntu is built on Debian and figured I would do fine to stick with GUI programs to make the small things work happily.

running_rabbit07
July 16th, 2009, 04:53 AM
Or http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/startupmanager

That works, too. Whenever I do a search for stuff like that I come up empty handed.

healee
July 17th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Thanks a lot!