PDA

View Full Version : Good AVI Video Player for Linux

duhast
January 22nd, 2005, 03:14 PM
I'm an anime fan and right now I'm having a a hard time finding a media player that will play weekly fansub releases. Can somebody help me out? If it helps any I run a Intel x86 Edition of Ubuntu Linux.

Rule
January 22nd, 2005, 04:19 PM
whats wrong the "media player" that comes with ubuntu??? also check out www.ubuntuguide.org

Quest-Master
January 22nd, 2005, 04:44 PM
Just install gxine from apt-get. :)

duhast
January 22nd, 2005, 04:49 PM
whats wrong the "media player" that comes with ubuntu??? also check out www.ubuntuguide.org
It doesn't play AVI files. I tried.

kleeman
January 22nd, 2005, 04:58 PM
mplayer is IMHO the best of the media players for Linux.
Try this Howto:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=9850

macewan
January 22nd, 2005, 06:22 PM
Just install gxine from apt-get. :)

or totem-xine whose buttons are more gnome like in appearance.

<
it plays everything except my dvds, but that probably because i don't have a dvd player </badjoke>

duhast
January 22nd, 2005, 06:49 PM
Thanks for showing me MPlayer and the post telling how to install it. You people are great! =D>

BWF89
January 22nd, 2005, 07:26 PM
What about Kaffine? I heard it is pretty good...

Rule
January 22nd, 2005, 07:31 PM
I thought Kaffine was a kde only app :?:

Randabis
January 22nd, 2005, 08:38 PM
I thought Kaffine was a kde only app :?:
kde apps usually run fine in the gnome environment.

Lynx
January 22nd, 2005, 10:32 PM
Totem plays my .avi RVB stuff just fine. By the way, could you PM me where you find fansubs, I've been looking for a good place to get some.

Lovechild
January 22nd, 2005, 11:00 PM
Install the gst-ffmpeg plugin and totem will play everything under the sun.

add:

http://pkg-gnome.alioth.debian.org/debian/
unstable
main

enjoy synaptic goodness.

duhast
January 23rd, 2005, 12:27 AM
Totem plays my .avi RVB stuff just fine. By the way, could you PM me where you find fansubs, I've been looking for a good place to get some.
I watch Naruto and the best place around for Naruto would have to be Naruto-kun.com

ThePainter
January 23rd, 2005, 10:47 AM
Hi,
Im always looking for an all in media player but I dont think there is one.
In XP the Windows media player was good but needed plugins and codec packs to play dvd's and a few other formats.
Media player classic played loads of formats including dvd quicktime and real with a few plugins but didnt do shoutcast radio and had to manually load audio tracks.
Net radio played shoutcast and could rip streams.
one by one was a good simple mp3 player.

Now in Linux I have found the same problems.
I started with totem but had to install gstreamer0.8-ffmpeg for it to play .avi's but then I found it only plays some of my .mp3's, some just wont play dont know why ? seems to be the ones I ripped with Grip although these play ok in rhythmbox which also plays radio.
I also have Videolan installed and this plays almost any media file although mp3 playback sounds a bit poor quality, not as good as rhythmbox.

So Ive got Real Player to listen to BBC Radio.
Rhythm box for internet radio, shoutcast and mp3,ogg's
Totem or VLC for videos.

I have read that MPlayer is a great all in player but there seems to be loads to install with it and havnt given it a go yet, and I have seen it pop up on a few forums with errors occuring.

piedamaro
January 23rd, 2005, 03:58 PM
Install totem-xine + w32codecs: you can play everything with it. (I'm doing that atm).
You can't play multicast udp streams for which I use vlc.

TravisNewman
January 24th, 2005, 05:32 AM
totem-gstreamer even with ffmpeg skips like crazy on my box, I haven't been able to fix it, so I normally use gxine for dvds and mplayer for other videos, and VLC on very rare occasions. And I also use real player for BBC radio :)

poofyhairguy
January 24th, 2005, 06:24 AM
totem-gstreamer even with ffmpeg skips like crazy on my box, I haven't been able to fix it, so I normally use gxine for dvds and mplayer for other videos, and VLC on very rare occasions. And I also use real player for BBC radio :)

I put in another vote for Gxine.

I am using the Hoary version now.....its is great.

Even Fedora's Mplayer would mess up on somethings. Not my Gxine with all the pluggins.

macewan
January 24th, 2005, 11:34 PM
I'll throw a vote to mplayer. Wish there was a gui like totem for the mplayer. Also install the mplayerplug-in so you view things like apple trailers and whatnot.