PDA

View Full Version : Network Manager and DHCP & DNS annoyance. Be nice if DNS was separate like Windows.

MechaMechanism
July 15th, 2009, 09:12 PM
SOLVED

In Microsoft Windows the DNS servers can be changed to the users choice without messing with DHCP. In Ubuntu the DNS servers are locked to DHCP and DHCP itself is locked to Network Manager. I really lament the lack of a GUI for specifying the DNS servers without touching any other network setting. Oh sure you can edit the DHCP3 config files and all but I really think a proper way for Ubuntu would be a GUI. Is there some method that one can use to request a usability enhancement? Please Ubuntu developers make the DNS settings separate.

cariboo
July 15th, 2009, 09:40 PM
If you are using Jaunty or newer, you can set up your own dns addresses manually by selecting method-->Automatic DCHP Addresses only in Network Manager-->Edit Connections-->IPV4 Settings.

MechaMechanism
July 16th, 2009, 06:06 AM
If you are using Jaunty or newer, you can set up your own dns addresses manually by selecting method-->Automatic DCHP Addresses only in Network Manager-->Edit Connections-->IPV4 Settings.Wow, thanks man. I guess I was so used to the previous way of doing networking that I had not thought of checking Jaunty's Network Manager. Just go to show that sometimes I need to redo stuff just to see if something changed. Thanks again, just what I was looking for.