PDA

View Full Version : when you make a cd into a "coaster" how many of you actually use it as a coaster ?

djmh
July 15th, 2009, 08:43 PM
lol, i just made a cd into a coaster ...and well now im actually using it as a coaster.
anyone else actually use them as a coaster ?

chriskin
July 15th, 2009, 08:58 PM
what is a coaster?

spoons
July 15th, 2009, 08:58 PM
I have some sort of irrational fear of using CDs as coasters. Even if they are dead I just chuck them in the bin.

CharmyBee
July 15th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Oh yes. My once-blue AOL cds are brown.

sisco311
July 15th, 2009, 09:04 PM
cd coaster
bash: cd: coaster: No such file or directory
uhh, i'm tired.

i have a couple of mini-CDs for shooters, some CDs for glasses and DVDs for mugs....

is it enough to use a DL-DVD for a 1l beer mug or should i buy a blu-ray disc?

munky99999
July 15th, 2009, 09:09 PM
The issue I found out... once you have like 100 coasters... you couldnt possibly do that anymore with all of them.

Though ya.. I have. Though generally i dont care if i use a coaster or not... so kinda moot.

djmh
July 15th, 2009, 09:14 PM
wait, what ?
how did you make cds into mugs ?

and a coaster cd is a cd you were burning that some how got messed up... so it is no longer useful so its sometimes called a coaster, i just didnt know if anyone actually used it as a coaster or if it was an expression.

a coaster, the actual object is something you put on a table to set your drink on so that it does not leave rings on your table.

lol hey - i knew aol cds could be useful for something :)
and the nice brown color should match ubuntu quite nicely !

oldsoundguy
July 15th, 2009, 09:15 PM
drill a hole near the edge and hang them in your garden. Keeps the birds away from your crop.

Or paint them metallic colors and put them on an outdoor Christmas tree come the season.

Or buy clock mechanisms and use them as a clock faces and sell them to on eBay.

Chemical Imbalance
July 15th, 2009, 09:17 PM
I use rewritable CD's and DVD's. Supposedly you can get upwards of 500 rewrites.

I have seen a picture of a chair/throne made from used AOL cd's though...

EDIT: Here it is :D http://stupidco.com/aol_throne_intro.html

_

Barrucadu
July 15th, 2009, 09:21 PM
No, I use a saucer. For tea that is. I generally drink other drinks too quickly to require some form of coaster.

sisco311
July 15th, 2009, 09:40 PM
wait, what ?
how did you make cds into mugs ?

i didn't, i was trying to say that i'm using different types of discs (as a coasters) for different types of glasses (if this makes any sense). ((damn, i'm really tired.))

lisati
July 15th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Occasionally I use them as a frisbee

CharmyBee
July 15th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Occasionally I use them as a frisbee
They'd make horrible frisbees, they lack a curved rim.

munky99999
July 15th, 2009, 10:52 PM
They'd make horrible frisbees, they lack a curved rim.
actually they do pretty well. The problem is that when they hit you in the face... it hurts alot.

The Toxic Mite
July 15th, 2009, 11:23 PM
actually they do pretty well. The problem is that when they hit you in the face... it hurts alot.

So would normal frisbees!!! :lolflag:

djmh
July 16th, 2009, 12:47 AM
So would normal frisbees!!
and whole assortment of hard objects thrown at a high velocity :p

thats pretty cool that you have different size cds to serve as different coasters for your various sized glasses !

that aol chair was pretty cool, i just wonder why it plugged in ?

The Toxic Mite
July 16th, 2009, 01:00 AM
and whole assortment of hard objects thrown at a high velocity :p

thats pretty cool that you have different size cds to serve as different coasters for your various sized glasses !

that aol chair was pretty cool, i just wonder why it plugged in ?

If you look at a CD on it's edge, you can barely see through it. It's a sorta, "green-ish" colour when you look through it. So the lights were to make the CDs luminous. :)

celem
July 16th, 2009, 01:03 AM
I use an old AOL CD as a coster for my iced tea. Now, it is quit a collector item and was all that AOL's product was good for, in my opinion.

djmh
July 16th, 2009, 01:06 AM
i want a glowing cd chair !!

Chemical Imbalance
July 16th, 2009, 01:08 AM
The clearer picture of it glowing is here:

http://stupidco.com/aol_throne_finished.html

Pretty cool.

koleoptero
July 16th, 2009, 01:17 AM
[code]is it enough to use a DL-DVD for a 1l beer mug or should i buy a blu-ray disc?

No you need a lazerdisk... you know... those old ones back from the 90s...

drawkcab
July 16th, 2009, 02:27 AM
I dug out all my old, obsolete linux cds and they are now in service on my coffee table.

starcannon
July 16th, 2009, 02:50 AM
I use cd coasters until they get scratched up and dull; usually I make one often enough to have a continual replacement program. :)