PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation on a Gateway LT3103u

ste1969
July 15th, 2009, 06:49 PM
I had no problems installing Ubuntu 9.04 onto my Gateway LT3103u. WIFI did not work however. Using a wired connection, I updated everything and rebooted, still no wireless. I then installed the linux-backports-modules-2.6.28-13-generic package. After another reboot everything works fine!

mynameinc
July 15th, 2009, 07:54 PM
I had no problems installing Ubuntu 9.04 onto my Gateway LT3103u. WIFI did not work however. Using a wired connection, I updated everything and rebooted, still no wireless. I then installed the linux-backports-modules-2.6.28-13-generic package. After another reboot everything works fine!

Including wireless? If so, this probably needs moved to the testimonials section...

scudder2u
July 25th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Yep, I can confirm the same.. wireless works after installing the backports module... Unfortunately, the bios doesnt support CPU scaling and the batter life is short...a bit over 2 hours for me.

yoshiki2
July 26th, 2009, 07:00 PM
How do i install the backports module. sorry my 1st time trying to install ubuntu

stryker719
July 27th, 2009, 01:30 AM
I'm going to give this a friendly 'bump'. I just picked up my Gateway LT3103u, and can't get wireless to work. How do I go about installing this backports module?

And also, scudder2u, is your battery life still crummy?

Thanks!

mrojas73
August 1st, 2009, 05:11 AM

Worked for me...thanks for posting this!:P

jcsteele
August 6th, 2009, 03:42 AM
This worked for me - however power management was a deal killer - the machine cannot even determine when the ac adapter is plugged in....battery life is miserable.

Since I don't want to kill the machine prematurely, ubuntu will have to wait.

nomes
August 7th, 2009, 07:53 AM
My installation went smoothly as well, with back ports but i cannot get the built in microphone to record...have all of u got the microphone working?

rspangler
August 9th, 2009, 09:36 PM
did you install from CD or USB? I've been trying to install and I always get dropped to busybox when trying to launch the livecd.

rspangler
August 17th, 2009, 12:37 AM
I finally got it installed. I had to use the alternate cd and install from network,

maddmike
August 19th, 2009, 12:56 AM
What version did you install? I have tried both Xubuntu 9.04 AMD64 desktop and alternate image and both drop out to a busybox shell after booting the kernel, i.e. no installation, this is the installer boot it craps out on.

Thanks,

Mike

jcsteele
August 19th, 2009, 12:58 AM
I was using the alternative installer for 9.04. What version is your BIOS? I have heard some chatter about some problems in that area... //jcs

maddmike
August 19th, 2009, 01:02 AM
My bios version is v1.3201. Where is there discussion about the BIOS version? Does Gateway have an upgrade?

jcsteele
August 19th, 2009, 01:08 AM
I am not sure exactly where I seen it - I have been googling for days to try to solve this problem, or at least find out some more information about it...perhaps on this forum, or on a launchpad bug report.

Anyways, we do have a different version...mine is v. 1.3103 and was released on 05/27/2009...

rspangler
August 19th, 2009, 06:54 PM
I installed using Ubuntu 9.04 32 bit alternate install and my bios is 1.3201

naujokas
August 21st, 2009, 01:48 AM
Mic works in skype with alsa 1.0.20 drivers

maddmike
August 21st, 2009, 06:06 PM
I installed using Ubuntu 9.04 32 bit alternate install and my bios is 1.3201

Yep - I figured this was a possibility because I ran into the same issue on a Compaq dc5800 Minitower that had a Core2 Duo chip. The bad thing is that I specifically bought this machine because it had the AMD64 chip in it to run a 64-bit version of Linux and to avoid buying Intel. :wink:

Going to try the trick I used to get Jaunty on the Compaq, which is to install a 64-bit 8.04 install like suggested previously then perform an upgrade. I'll update the thread after my "test". :)

Minimalist360
August 24th, 2009, 02:09 AM
re: power management...

Apparently this guy (http://www.pow.za.net/index.html) figured out how to get power management working on the Gateway LT3103u under Linux (Gentoo). He doesn't say whether he's submitted his changes, and I don't know enough about Linux to know where power management resides, but I'd imagine it's a kernel level thing. I'd love to see that incorporated into future kernels or appropriate modules, but I have no idea how to go about doing that.

So I thought I'd post the info here in case someone else can handle that.

jcsteele
August 25th, 2009, 01:53 AM
Has anyone been experiencing wifi problems? The connection seems to randomly drop, which requires a reboot to reconnect...similar to what this person reported:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1239809&highlight=lt3103u

At home, the connection won't stay active overnight...when I am at various places around my area (i.e. school), the connection MIGHT last 10 minutes....very annoying.

Just curious what everyone is experiencing.

Minimalist360
August 25th, 2009, 02:34 AM
I've had the same issue with wireless overnight.

rspangler
August 26th, 2009, 02:04 PM
I got powermanagement to work on mine. I used the 2.6.30 kernel though. first I downloaded his dsdt source and comiled it into the .aml format. Then I applied his powernow-k8 patch and a patch to all the kernel to load a dsdt from the initrd image. Once I compiled and installed the kernel, I added the dsdt file to the initrd image. I then had to install powernowd.

This is a brief description of what I had to do to get it working.

Prikolchik
August 30th, 2009, 06:41 AM
If someone is still looking for a solution to power-management problems I've written a How-to: Getting power management to work on Gateway LT31 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7868889).

yoshiki2
November 8th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Any news about this netbook? planing to buy it from best buy.. any problems with 9.10?

maddmike
November 8th, 2009, 03:22 PM
I have not tried 9.10 myself but if I were you I would take a USB key loaded with it into BestBuy and try it on the demo model. I know the BestBuy's in mind area don't seem to being carrying this model anymore. Not sure if it has been dropped or what???

Good luck,

Mike

yoshiki2
November 8th, 2009, 06:33 PM
there's a new one.. with xp and 1 gib ram. Netbook doesn't overheat if u are watching youtube videos?

jcsteele
November 10th, 2009, 05:32 PM
I plan on installing 9.10 sometime in the next couple of days, so I will post back here with my results.

When I had the beta/RC installed, the wireless issues seemed to be gone, but power management remains an issue.

kluffinator
November 11th, 2009, 07:01 PM
I've had Karmic running on mine for a while and most everything works.

Audio, microphone, webcam, wireless* are working though.

*Wireless doesn't drop so much but, download speeds from the repositories and web seem to crawl on it when compared to other machines.